Headphone malfunction

By EagleEye
May 21, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I just signed up.. I am having some really wierd problems with my headphones. When I watch movies on my pc I can hear the action noises and stuff. But the actor's voice is very dimmed... And when I play games my sound works fine. But I plugged in my monitor speakers and it worked fine. Could you help me.
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

seems like the headphone mode is set maybe to 5.1 speaker. what sound device are you using?

start > control panel > sound
  3. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

It could be the 5.1 setting as mentioned.

However, it sounds like you've plugged your headphones into the wrong jack. Its usually the green jack that you'd plug it in to (assuming its color coded).

Of course, they also could be programmable, and these settings have changed. If the above suggestions don't help, maybe more information about your graphics card (or motherboard if its built in) and OS (and whatever's relevent to your setup) would help.
  4. EagleEye

EagleEye Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

My headphones are usb plug in (ASB AZ-1 7.1 surround sound). My graphics card is a 9300 GT nvidia. I am running Windows 7. Not sure about my motherboard though.
  5. nismo91

you can try go to start > control panel > sound

then select your headphone, in the left bottom click 'configure'. if you're running 7.1 setting then choose 7.1 and click on all the speakers to check if your headphone is working right.
  6. EagleEye

did that still not working right lol I know wierd.
  7. EagleEye

Should I do a system restore?
  8. nismo91

i think your headphone is the culprit. not your pc. you should try configuring it to stereo instead. its not a proper 7.1 headphone.

edit: additional note:

if you installed the software for your headphone, try to re-adjust the system, if it fails, then uninstall and reinstall the headphone drivers.
  9. EagleEye

Would updated drivers fix this problem?
  10. EpicPie

EpicPie Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

No, if you don't actually have a 7.1 speaker/headphone setup keep it at stereo otherwise your sound output is going to be very dim.
  11. EagleEye

What does it mean when a device or resource (DNS server) is not responding. What should I do?

12. ultragrey

ultragrey Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

@eagleeye.... that can be either hardware or software problem. If reinstalling does not help the situation then it must be hardware.
    [​IMG]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.