Heads up on new threat

By PuterGeekGirl
Aug 25, 2003
  1. StopSign

Disables security software. Purports to be security software.

Adware - displays numerous popups recommending purchase of various Acceleration Software products. Firewall Killer - interferes with operation of several personal firewalls. Loader - quietly installs other files. Exploit - uses social engineering and stealth tricklers to gain control of the system.

See full article here (and thanks to PestPatrol for the info):
  2. conradguerrero

conradguerrero TS Rookie Posts: 310

that is one nasty spyware, since it claims it is a virus scanner i think they will infect a lot of people's computers
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

well done, thanks.
  4. tkteo

tkteo TS Rookie Posts: 52

That is some nasty adware indeed! I certainly don't have good things to say about the company that created it.
  5. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

I've downloaded a few tweaks and small programs from several reputable sites, but this scares the you know what out of me. I don't think I'll be doing that anymore unless I have heard some good things first. It sure seems like it would be very hard to get rid of.
  6. lalaji

lalaji TS Rookie Posts: 136

Damn, thats really messed up... thanks for the heads up.
  7. PuterGeekGirl

PuterGeekGirl TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 64

Here at work we have blocked that site using WebSense, just to be on the safe side! No one here s/b looking for virus software, but ya just never know!
  8. dusthazard

dusthazard TS Rookie Posts: 22

You know, it's amazing how this stuff tricks people so much! I worked on a computer that belonged to my girlfriend's cousins's mom and Ad-Aware 6.181 detected about 300 traces of spyware. Most of those were cookies, I admit, but a rather large portion of them were programs.

I'm glad I keep tabs on what goes on this PC.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.