TechSpot

Headset issue

By AC10
May 17, 2008
  1. I have a real issue that I can't seem to find out how to fix.

I own a Alienware Area 51 7500 series. It is brand new about 1 week old. I also own a headset from Wal Mart which is about 2 weeks old.

Here is the problem.

I want to chat with some friends using Ventrilo. I hook up my headset to my computer and Realtek HD Audio Manager tells me that I have plugged in something. It pops up a box and I choose the "Headset" option.

Now when I enter Ventrilo, I can hear people but the mic wont pick up my voice. I checked to see if I had anything on mute and nothing was on mute. I made sure the volume was all the way up and it was.

I then tried to record myself using the Windows Recorder program and I could not hear myself on that either. So it was not Ventrilo that caused the problem. I then took my headset to another PC to see if it was the headset but the headset worked fine on the other PC.

What is real odd here though.. When I am trying to record myself while people on vent are speaking, it records those people who are speaking. It is hard to explain, I hope I did my best to explain that part.

It is like my Microphone on the headset is acting like a speaker. If that made any sense.

I double checked to make sure nothing was on mute, I double checked to make sure the headset worked, and I double checked to make sure the plugs were in the correct slot. I tried both front and back slots on my PC and nothing.

I tried to explain my problem the best I can. If you need more information feel free to ask. Any help would be great, I have been going crazy trying to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Return the headset to Wal-Mart and get your money back... Try Best Buy or even Radio Shack

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.