TechSpot

Hearing Impaired Question

By bushwhacker
Mar 2, 2008
Post New Reply
  1. This goes out to everyone.

Do you ever met or see some hard hearing or deaf people, what do you think about it and how can you react to it?

I'm curious of everyone's opinions.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,074   +84 Staff Member

What do you mean how can you react to it? You shouldn't be too surprised to come across a deaf person. It's not exactly rare unless you're extremely isolated, nor is it shocking to the senses. You shouldn't have to "react" any other way than you'd react to seeing anyone else.

3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Unless they have a big horn sticking out of their ear.

I don't believe anyone cares anymore
    Blind people with canes, and deaf people reading lips, doesn't phase anyone anymore. Actually handicapped people seem to fit into society better than the rest of us.
    I want a front row carpark!

4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,086

Actually, you are talking to wrong guy. I do care, and I asked for opinion, not telling people what to do. I didn't say that you can have the rights to say something about it, i just want something off your minds.

And Kimsland, we don't use the word called " Handicapped ".

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

bushwhacker, you asked for opinions. Don't get upset when you get one.
    Then you shouldn't be telling Kimsland what words to use. ;)

That said, in our organization there are a few hearing impaired employees (we usually use that term instead of deaf but, personally, the word deaf carries no pejorative connotations for me. But then I'm not hearing impaired). There is no need to react to them in any particular way. I converse with them differently but otherwise they are treated the same as anyone else. Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by "react." I hope I'm interpreting it the same as you intended.

6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

I know many deaf people and I use Sign Language to speak to them. If you are shocked to see a deaf person you must live in isolation...

7. bushwhacker

Sorry... to disappoint you.. but I'm already deaf. :)

8. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 454

I am partially hearing impaired, I'm half-deaf.
    My right ear is only capable of about 10% - 20% of normal hearing capacity.

But because I've been like this since I was a little kid, I grew up with this lower level of hearing. I never experienced any "normal hearing level" before, so I have no standard of which to compare my current hearing to (ignorance is bliss...?).

Those who lose part of their hearing at some point of their life often comment on how hard it is because they have to concentrate and listen much more carefully to hear what they used to be able to hear. I however didn't go through this phase because I was always half-deaf, meaning there wasn't a learning-curve for me to adjust to an "inferior" level of hearing.

Overall it doesn't bother me that much. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in regards to hearing loss.

9. bushwhacker

Thanks for your honest post, Grafficks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.