Heatsink problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently cleaned my computer and took the cpu fan and heatsink off to clean. I reapplied thermal paste and now computer shuts down. If I tighten all screws on heatsink and fan it will do nothing. If i loosen 2 of tnem I can get it to turn on but shuts down within 15 seconds. I turn back on and that is when I get the beeps hi and low and then shuts off. It only beeps about 3 seconds. So is this a bad heatsink, CPU or Mobo Please help. Here are the specs from my computer it is a emachine T5026

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519
Operates at 3.06GHz
1MB L2 cache and 533MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: Intel® 915GV chipset
Memory: 512MB Dual Channel DDR
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 7200rpm, 8MB cache

I'm pretty sure the chunk of metal or fan wouldn't be beeping at you. What you are hearing are beeps codes, produced by your motherboard, to tell you if everything is ok (One beep) and if not what the problem is (A beep code). Find your motherboard model and look up to try and find what BIO's it uses. Then search for "(BIO's name here) beep codes" You should find a list like this http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm (Scroll down a little) Find your BIO's section and looks at the different beep codes to find what pattern is like yours, read what it means and we'll continue to help you from there.

Gah, I'm trying to look for what BIO's version your emachine T5026 would be using and I can't find anything so far xD

Well Ithink my Bios is AMI but none of these codes represent what beeps I am hearing. On other places it says hi lo beeps mean cpu overheating. I am really confused should I take heatsink out again and make sure completely clean before applying new paste.

Make sure your are applying the paste properly. http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

If the computer has only been on for less than 15 seconds I have my doubts of it overheating. But make sure its completely clean and no thermal paste has gotten onto the bottom of the processor and is shorting it. Then make sure the heatsink is mounted securely on top. Fan doesn't have to be screwed in very tight, just so it hugs the heat sink.

Yeah maybe you shorted your mobo acidentally in the process...then it might not even be able to beep...I know nothing about socket 519 but maybe you put your cpu in the wrong way?...but then it wouldn't start for 15 seconds. Does it manage to boot into windows or does it stay with your bios loading thingy?

If it stays on for 15sec then shuts off then maybe the cpu is overheating. If so take heatsink off and it shouldnt be over 60ºc it shouldnt burn ur finger

i am now recieving this message when i hit f2 for bios
CPU previously Shut Down due to
->Thermal Event ( Overheating).

hmm well i gues that makes the problem obviouse....

assuming that you did put thermal grease on and had the heatsink on properly...i have no idea whats wrong. Maybe the mobo sensor is off...

have you tried booting with your finger on the CPU, if it really is hot, maybe your CPU blew up. JK but maybe something is wrong with you CPU. If you have another comp, you could switch the CPU's and see if will work.

uhh sorry, i can't seem to edit my message.

I forgot to tell you that 15 seconds should not be enough to overheat your CPU. Especially if the heatsink is on, even if its not on properly

wtf the edit button isnt working.

anywayno it doesnt, if you can, try to put your CPU in another computer. Or atleast trade heatsinks with another comp.

Okay the cpu is definetely running hot. It burns fingertiip almost instantly. So can anyone tell me if this is a fried cpu or is it the Mobo or both. I am afraid to try another cpu if it is the Mobo and fry another cpu Afraid to try another Mobo with this cpu dont want to fry, Please help

It burns fingertiip almost instantl
ow
wtf so i was right......the CPU obviously has some issues, however it might not be the CPU itself...
It obviously still boots uf for as you say 15 seconds...
I think it might be that your mobo. Maybe it has changed the CPU voltage to something really high. I know my mobo supports up to a crazy 3.7 volts!!

Try clearing the CMOS cache, if you mobo says there is a CMOS cache clear jumper wire, use it. Otherwise, take the little battery out for a couple minuets and put it back in.

This is confusing and weird!!:confused: :suspiciou

Cleared CMOS already took battery out for awhile and then put back in. Was able to keep on longer but will not boot up into windows. So that is why I think is Mobo. So might just upgrade to new Mobo and Cpu and call it good. Just really confused

u said about 15sec it restarts is that when windows is booting? if so thats ur problem. Try to go into bios and look at ur cpu temp. and if u cant do that with out it reboting then it is ur cpu overheating. Also someone said your cpu wont overheat in 15sec, but mine did in 3sec from turning it on with out a heatsink.( I smelt it)

yep after cleaning it. Maybe static electicity shorted something out who knows. Computers they drive me nuts when cant figure problems out.

...depending on your current comp, you might want to upgrade you CPU and mobo anyway. I could help if your looking to buy one now.

kimbert said:
I recently cleaned my computer and took the cpu fan and heatsink off to clean. I reapplied thermal paste and now computer shuts down. If I tighten all screws on heatsink and fan it will do nothing. If i loosen 2 of tnem I can get it to turn on but shuts down within 15 seconds. I turn back on and that is when I get the beeps hi and low and then shuts off. It only beeps about 3 seconds. So is this a bad heatsink, CPU or Mobo Please help. Here are the specs from my computer it is a emachine T5026

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519
Operates at 3.06GHz
1MB L2 cache and 533MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: Intel® 915GV chipset
Memory: 512MB Dual Channel DDR
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA 7200rpm, 8MB cache
+1 same problem...same pc.. =X

Okay I cleaned off all thermal paste applied new silver 5 thermal compound and now I can get into computer. The only problem that I am having now is the fan will not stop and the temps are running from 60-80 degrees so I dont know what to do with this.

when you boot up, please try to enter the BIOS and check the CPU voltage.

It makes no sense that the procesor is screwed since it is working with lots of cooling...
So I don't really know whats going on, i can only think that the voltage might be set to high.

It should be set to around 1.5 or default. If it is set as "default", maybe you mobo somehow got the idea that "default" was something too high. Try setting the voltage to 1.5 if you bios allows it.

Then again, it might have something to do with the heat sink. If you try what i mentioned above and no luck, switch the heatsink and see what happens. I hate to waste arctice silver 5 though :(

I really have no idea how to do this. I am pretty clueless about that stuff. If you could ecplain that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back