(Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me network 2 home computers??

First of all please let me apologize if I am repeating a previous thread that might have already been discussed. I did do a search but didn't come up with anything that (1) would have helped...or (2) I could understand. I have 2 computers (both listed in my profile) that I am trying to connect to the internet using a router (AOpen, AOW-605U, 5 Port AOpen Switch). I run XP on both machines and have tried using the Network Connection Wizard but to no avail. The network connection on this computer says "connected, Firewalled" and works fine, the kids computer (problem one) says "Enabled, Firewalled" but does not connect to the internet. The network card in this computer is a SoHoware 10/100 PCI Network Adapter and the problem computer has a SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX) #2. Can anyone...in laymens terms...explain to me how to get the kids' computer to connect? My ISP is Rogers Cable and I have their software on this computer, do I have to install the same software on the kids' computer? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and I also apologize for my ignorance on this stuff but I'm hopeful someone can help.
Thanks very much in advance.

From your post, it looks like you don't have the cable modem hooked up to the router. Unplug the modem from your computer and put it in the router (it doesn't matter which port). Plug in the cord for each computer into the router. Now, for each computer, complete the following steps:

1. Go to "Network Connections" and double click on the "Local Area Connection" icon (The one that says "Connected" and "Firewalled").

2. If you see a screen that displays the status of the connection, click on the "Properties" button near the bottom; if not, ignore this step.

3. Now in the middle of the dialog box is a list of things like "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

4. Check the options "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

5. Click "Ok" and then "Ok".

Now everything should be in order. In layman's terms, the cable modem tells each computer what its address is and automatically sets up the entire network, you don't have the run the "Network Setup Wizard". Hope this helps! :approve:

This only works if the ISP supplies multiple IP addresses and you don't give a damn about security.

The right way to do it is to plug the cable modem into the WAN port of the router and then configure it. Plug the computers into the LAN ports of the router. You do not need any kind of software on the computers. Just set them to detect everything automatically.

First off, you don't have a router, you have a switch.

If Rogers is like Shaw (which I think they are close), you will be given 2 IP addresses.

What I would do if I were you is return the switch (if its new) and get a router.

If you choose not to get a router, you will have to phone Rogers and see if they provide 1 or 2 IP addresses. If they charge you $5 a month for a second IP address, say no and go buy a router. They cost about $50 and are more secure and give you alot more option.

If they are giving you two IP addresses, try doing what El Presidente says in his 5 steps on your son's computer while yours is turned off.

Here's a router at Future Shop for $9 after rebates.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...26&catid=10495&logon=&langid=EN&test_cookie=1

Here's a wireless router for $29.99 after rebates. You can just turn the wireless part off and use like a normal router. This way if you ever want to go wireless, you just need to buy a wireless card.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10045827&catid=19994

connecting two or more computers

Sorry to jump on someone elses thread, but I could not see how to create a new one.
I am new to home networking, but have successfully connected my home pc with my son's and my laptop using the netgear router. We can all get on-line using my broadband connection. However, I need help with sharing our files and printer. All PC's are running Windows XP Home. I can right click files and the printer and enable them to be shared, but the computers need to connect to each other first. Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Annie

Thanks very much...I wasn't sure if there was a difference between a router and a switch..but you've cleared that up. I'll go out tomorrow and purchase a router, the switch was given to me by someone who was obviously as ignorant as me about these things because he thought it was a router too. I definately don't want to shell out any more money to Rogers (I believe Rogers and Shaw are one and the same) than I have to, they've already have a good chunk of my money a month with the digital cable and high speed.
Anyway...thanks very much for your help, I will take your advice and get myself a router tomorrow.

Thanks...I was just informed that I don't have a router...I have a switch, and instead of giving the ISP more money for an additional IP address, I'll go out tomorrow and purchase a router....but...with my luck you'll probably see me back anyway...:)
Thanks for your help though, it was appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back