Help analyzing minidump files

dndtom

Starting few days ago, I've been experiencing crashes on my XP Pro SP2. I've attached a zip file with the last 5 minidumps in it.

Could someone please help me analyze them and point me to what might be the cause of the crashes?

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    35.5 KB · Views: 1
First, we here at TechSpot strongly urge all XP users to update to Service Pack 3 especially for security reasons and the fact that Microsoft no longer supports SP2.

Second, your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Ran the memtest overnight and all seems to be OK with the memory. It ran through 14 successful tests.

I've reseated the memory & cleaned out any dust caked up on the processor (in case there as some overheating caused by that).

It still crashes randomly.

Okay since Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

You also may want to run it one stick at a time. On the off occasion bad RAM has been known to Pass this test.

I am running with just a single stick (512MB). It's a machine I dedicate as my DVR.

Here are the spec on my stick:
Learn more about the Crucial Technology CT6464Z265

Crucial Model: CT6464Z265
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Capacity: 512MB
Speed: DDR 266 (PC 2100)
Cas Latency: 2.5
Voltage: 2.5V

In BIOS I see the following configuration

Current FSB Frequency = 200MHz (not settable)
Current DRAM Frequency = 133 MHz (not settable)
Max Memclock (MHz) = Auto
1T/2T Memory Timing = Auto
CAS latency (Tcl) = Auto
RAS to CAS delay (Trcd) = Auto
Min RAS active time (Tras) = Auto
Row percharge Time (Trp) = Auto

In your BIOS find the memory voltage sometimes called the DIMMM voltage. if it is at Auto click that on and see if your memory is set at 2.5 volts. If not manually set it to that voltage.

You could try placing that stick in another slot.

I found a page in the BIOS that shows "Frequency/Voltage Control"

There is a setting for DDR Voltage. It is set to 2.65V. The only available options are 2.65V, 2.70V, 2.75V, 2.80V.

This could very well be the issue. Believe it or not even incremental changes in memory voltage can give reads of memory corruption. Your motherboard is attempting to set the memory tto as clost to 2.5 as possible.

However, the BSODs are just a new occurance, correct?

Please give us the make and model of your motherboard. if you can link us on the net so much the better.

Yes the BSODs started a few days ago. No new hardware or software were introduced. As as I mentioned this machine functions as a DVR, so no one is on it installing/removing software or hardware.

I tried moving the memory stick to the second slot...and it consistently BSOD on loading Windows. When I switched it back to the first slot, Windows loaded fine. I don't see anything in the motherboard user manual about filling the memory slots in a particular sequence. So it's not clear why it would behave differently when the memory is moved to the 2nd slot.

Hmm, this is strange. I would have suggested try cleaning the memory and reseating it but you've already done that.

How old is the motherboard?

Glad you linked your board because as per website specs the board, and I quote, "Supports DDR 333/400 MHz." You have DDR 266.

Strange I have the user guide that came with the MB and it says...

System Memory:
Supports DDR-266/333/400

Perhaps, I have an older revision of the MB. Plus I've had this system running this way for a couple of years.

Yeah, I downloaded the Manual and said the same thing. So after scrolling through I found this information on the voltage settings that this board permits for memory: 2.65 is the default setting and it is the lowest it will go as you discovered. The other three options are 2.70, 2.75, and 2.80.

Why aftyer running it for a time without issues we can't say but memory continually comes up as the problem. I checked out Newegg and their 266 and 333 offerings only come in 2.5v offerings (except one at 2.6).

Keep in mind this is old DDR1 memory. We are now up to DDR3. new egg does however offer 400 memory in the voltages that your board can handle. See this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...006085 600000342&IsNodeId=1&name=2.6V - 2.75V

Since the motherboard is old I am wondering if that is where the reall issue is.

While I'd hate it to be the motherboard, i suppose it's certainly possible.

Any motherboard testing apps that I can use to check it out?

Back