Help! Anyone have issues with HP 5150 printers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

Hello all
I have an HP 5150 printer. It prints letter paper ok, and 4x6 photo paper OK, but now it's chewing up my Premium photo paper. When it loads it in, it seems like it's not pulling it straight in. The printer jams, and it crumples up the top right corner of the paper.
This is frustrating! I can't see any obvious issues. HP tech support is useless, and they wanted to charge me $30 to help! They did offer me a deal on an upgrade printer. So the expensive ink I buy isn't good enough to get their support?

Anyone have this issue? It's about 2+ years old. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm an electro tech and I'm tempted to take it apart.

You sure that the Premium photo paper is compatible with your printer? Anyway, I doubt HP support can help you with printers. Printer problems are tough to solve. They'll just ask you to restart the printer and hope for the best.

And yes they charge WAY too much for the stupid ink.

Check the pick up wheels they might be worn this can cause the paper to feed incorrectly.
They are probably slipping on the photo paper.

I have the HP1210 all-in-one printer, besides the driver being a piece of sh!t, which interfers with half of my other software, these printer really don't like anyone else's paper but HP!!! I had quality letter paper and nothing but jamming, and was about to throw the fringin through the wall! Finally put some HP paper in it, no probs since. Same with HP photo paper works fine.

Cheers,

gary_hendricks said:
You sure that the Premium photo paper is compatible with your printer? Anyway, I doubt HP support can help you with printers. Printer problems are tough to solve. They'll just ask you to restart the printer and hope for the best.

And yes they charge WAY too much for the stupid ink.

Yea it's HP paper I've used before. It also ate some premium plus paper.
They said it could be hardware or software. After they said that, I thought "they can't help!".

Do you know how much money they make from those ink catridges?
A LOT of money. Each catridge's cost price is only about US$7. And they sell it for what, US$20???? Outrageous!

No wonder those fake inkjet catridges are coming out and undercutting them.

toffeapple said:
Check the pick up wheels they might be worn this can cause the paper to feed incorrectly.
They are probably slipping on the photo paper.

Would that be the big wheels inside? They're plastic and have rubber on them? They looked ok ( I thought) Maybe I will tear it down.

How long are these junkers supposed to last?

Yeah thats the wheels .....they should have grey( maybe black) rubber on them....when they get to smooth they cant grip the paper..i think you can turn um inside out ...you could on older laserjets

toffeapple said:
Yeah thats the wheels .....they should have grey( maybe black) rubber on them....when they get to smooth they cant grip the paper..i think you can turn um inside out ...you could on older laserjets

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

I just had a thought, I wonder if the gizmo that lifts the paper (so it feeds in) is lifting the paper on that side. Maybe I'll sacrifice another sheet so I can watch the wee bastard in action.
Worth a look.

how much did it cost?
wouldnt it be great to launch it out the window smashing it to pieces? I did that with an old monitor once that kept flickering..felt great afterwards

I had a Deskjet 690C (sold it to some sucker) and am still running a Laserjet 1100 (about 8 years now). Only 'repair' on either of them, was cleaning the 'pickup-rubber' on the wheel(s) with Isopropanol (from your pharmacy/drugstore).

The Deskjet kept drying out, so I gave it away when I sold a PII-300, just upped the price by €40.- for the printer.
The Laserjet is absolutely fabulous, as good as on day one! I do about 3000 pages a year on it. Refills once a year (spurious) for about €45.-

toffeapple said:
how much did it cost?
wouldnt it be great to launch it out the window smashing it to pieces? I did that with an old monitor once that kept flickering..felt great afterwards

I can't remember, maybe $130 to $150?
Yea I was tempted to launch it last night. Especially when I couldn't see anything obvious.
I went to France in September (pre riots) and I was really looking forward to printing some more of my pics.

I'll try to clean it up with some aclohol as Blackstuff suggested. Would Smirnoff work?? ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back