Help! Autochk.exe is corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Pop in your Windows cd and click exit when the installer appears.

Click start/search and set the search to your Windows cd. Type autochk.exe and hit the enter key. It will find it in the I386 folder on the cd. Right click on the autochk.exe file and select copy. Go to your c:\windows\system32 folder and locate autochk.exe. Rename it to (old autochk.exe). Paste the new autochk.exe file into this folder. If this solves your problem, you can delete the old autochk.exe file.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for the help!

I tried what you suggested but am unable to delete, rename, replace, or move the old autochk.exe file. How can I get rid of the old corrupted file?
I also tried copying the new file elsewhere and running it but got the message that it cannot be used in Windows 32 (or something like that?).

In order to rename/move/delete the old autochk file, you may need to do the following.

Open my computer and click on the tools menu and selcet folder options. Click on the view tab and uncheck the Hide protected operating system files(recommended). Also, make sure that the show hidden files and folders is checked. Click yes/apply/ok.

If that doesn`t help, try copying the file from the cd and pasting it into the system32folder. It may ask you if you want to replace the original file. If it does, click yes.

Regards Howard :)

still unable to delete old file

Thanks Howard! I'm still unable to do anything with the old autochk file. When I try to delete, rename, move, replace etc. I get a message like this, "Cannot delete autochk: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
Any other ideas?

Put you Windows cd into your cd-rom drive. When the installer appears click exit.

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the runbox and press the enter key. Note the space between the scf and the forward slash. Windows will now scan you OS files and should replace any that are found to be corrupt.

See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back