Help!!!- BIOS Flashing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

algoespanol

I was getting a BIOS checksum error. Therefore, I made a floppy with the awd bios flashing utility on it and the latest bios driver. I put in the floppy and it brings up the flashing utility. It automatically detects the BIOS file on the disk and says "please wait" on the bottom of the screen. However, this please wait has stayed up for 15 minutes or so. At first, the disk sounded like it was copying something and spinning, then it just stopped. Any suggestions?

Must admit, i suspect that was the original problem. But failed bios flash usually means new mobo.

You will need to read your mobo manual. Resetting the cmos will fix a failed bios update on some mobo's, but not all.

You havent even said what mobo you have!

Yes, I did read tedster. My MOBO is an ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM. I tried resetting the COMOS and that did not work. This motherboard is only about 2 weeks old. The computer was working fine and then one time when I went to start it it just wouldn't.

if you tried to flash and failed to complete the process, the EPROM will need to be reprogrammed by the manufacturer. There is nothing more you can do.
That is why it is vital to only upgrade the BIOS if absolutely necessary.

Thanks guys, I sent the board back to newegg and they are sending me another one. I still cant figure out what corrupted the BIOS though. Everything was running fairly fine after I put the computer together for the first time then one morning I turned it on and it wouldn't let me do anything but insert a floppy to reflash the BIOS. Could there have been something I did to corrupt the BIOS files? I havent gotten into any overclocking yet.

If you did not attempt to update the BIOS, then the only other way it could have been corrupted is static damage upon installation. Always ensure you are grounded when working on computers.

Since you've already RMA'd the motherboard, this is for future reference only. A checksum error does not automatically mean the BIOS is corrupted. The CMOS battery could have been defective or possibly not fully seated. This would be the first thing I would have checked because if the battery is bad, a BIOS flash will not help.

To answer your earlier question, you would need a DVOM or similar test meter to check the condition of the battery. The CMOS battery is a silvery, flat, disk which you should be able to easily locate on the motherboard. Check your motherboard manual for the proper way to remove it but it's not difficult. In your case since the motherboard was new, you would have to weigh the expense of returning it versus the cost of replacing the CMOS battery yourself. Then again, it might not have been the battery.

That said, one other way a BIOS can be corrupted is if the PC was improperly shut down like if power was disconnected while it was still running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back