Help buying new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilsmith

So I recently just built a new computer and I intend to buy a new video card. I don't know what to buy because my PSU is only 430W. I also don't want to get something to find out that it doesn't fit in my case or run because of my PSU.

My Comp Specs:
Antec 300 Mid Tower Case
Western Digital Caviar Black 40GB 7200 RPM
LG 22X DVD±R DVD
PNY 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Antec Basiq BP430 430W
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W
Acer X223Wbd 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

So what are my limits as to how decent a gpu I can get? Someone said I could go up to a HD4850 without problems but I'm not really sure I can go up that high. I don't intend to change any other parts of the comp since I just recently got the parts. Anyways I hope to get some feedback and thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to mention some stuff. Games I intend to play are like WoW, Oblivion, L4D. My max buget would be around the $80s and I don't mind waiting for a sale because I'm not really in a rush because of school. If you need any more info I would be glad to post.

First, find which cards your motherboard will support and then start filtering them out from there. For example, do you want to use an ATI or NVIDIA based graphics card? Do you use you computer for games or is it a workstation? Obviously, you need to look at the power requirements for each card you look at but it's not a huge deal if you need to swap power supplies (worst case scenario). Also, make sure the card you choose has at least 512MB of onboard vRAM. 256MB is too little these days.

I don't intend switching PSUs like I said I bought it just recently so whats the point of buying in it the first place then. I don't mind ATI or NVIDIA whatevers cheap and good I guess. I'm a moderate gamer. And someone on another post said I could get a HD 4850 without problems but I don't really think I can because a HD 4830 says recommeneded 450W. I apologize for not being clear on my first post and thanks for the quick rely.

The wattage isn't what's important, it's the combined total amperage on the +12V rail(s). A video card needs a certain amount of amps to operate properly. Check your power supplies rating and then search for cards that it can run.

Umm excuse my newbiness how would I do that ? Here are specs of my PSU
Model
Brand Antec
Model BP430
Series Basiq
Spec
Type ATX12V Version 2.2
Maximum Power 430W Continuous Power
Fans 1
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 2
PCI-E Connectors 1 x 6Pin
SLI No
Modular No
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz

Right, sorry.

So your PSU has a total of 2 (two) +12V rails. There should be a label on the actual piece of equipment with the power ratings on it. Either that or the box it was in should have the same information. You need to know the combined total amperage for the rails (so just add the amps on each rail) and then use that as a guide when selecting a new video card. For example, if the combined total amps are 34A or so, a card that requires more will not operate correctly, etc. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Well I googled it and found another forums it says it has 30A I'll go check my box and make sure thanks again.

Edit:Its the + 12V1 right? which is 17A and just double. Or is it the + 12V2 which is 16A.

Well I googled it and found another forums it says it has 30A I'll go check my box and make sure thanks again.
It says he has an antech basiq 430w, though not nearly as cool as the eathwatts series, it still delivers 33 amps, which should be enough for a 4850, I think. I would wait until rage says something, he knows a lot more than me :/.

Rage was the one who said I could go up to a HD 4850 without problems. I just wanted to make sure since I don't really know how PSU and GPUs work together. Anyways thanks for all the quick replies I really appreciate it .

According to this page, any 450W PSU with a 75W 6-pin PCIe adapter will run a base 4850. No promises on more beefy revisions. I wish they would just put the amperage requirements on there... makes things a LOT easier.

Well would the Basiq 430W be like a 450W PSU since Basiq seems to have more amps than most 450W that I've seen.

The BP430 has 30A (360W) available on the +12V rail; just enough for an HD 4850 system. However, the PSU may not be able to handle the load for too long, since that 30A rating is for peak output, not continuous. The card itself pulls around 180-200W, and since the CPU will pull about 100W peak, you would be cutting it very close by loading the rails near the maximum. We haven't even considered the other components yet!

I would advise grabbing an HD 4770 and OCing it, which will push it past the HD 4850 easily while keeping power consumption and heat dissipation lower than the latter. Even if you don't OC it, the card's performance is fantastic and only 5-7% lower than that of the HD 4850.

What about GeForce? Would you recommend 9800 GT?

Edit: Also why does it seem that Newegg deactivated most of their 4770 and when they do have it seems like always out of stock?

Edit: Also why does it seem that Newegg deactivated most of their 4770 and when they do have it seems like always out of stock?
Because its a great card, its too popular, they just don't have enough to go around.

Or should I just get it when its in stock since they never seem to have any in stock.
$99 is already very cheep, you could wait, but i'm not sure you will be getting a better deal soon. I would just by any 4770 under $110.

Actually, if you can wait, I recommend ordering this card instead. You can register it on XFX's site and activate their Double Lifetime Warranty, which is called that because it will carry over to any other user you sell the card to.

You would probably be paying almost the same amount with shipping anyways at Newegg for the ASUS card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back