TechSpot

Help cant format new hard drive

By jonwilson8
Nov 26, 2004
  1. hi i just put a new 160 gb hard drive in my old comp and created a new primary partition but when i go to format my new drive so i can install windows it says:
    Invalid mediad type reading drive c: Abort, Retry, Fail?

Does anybody know why this is?

thanx jon

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

It really helps if you fill in details of Hardware and software in your Profile.
    Saves guessing.
    I bet you formatted that HDD with Fat32 Win 98 disk .There is a 130 Gig recognition limit for partitions .
    Try breaking up the drive to 2-3 partition below 130 Gig

3. jonwilson8

jonwilson8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi thanx for the reply, the hard drive i have put in is brand new and i've formatted it in dos as i have no os at the mo and then put a primary partition on but then when i got to format it after putting the partition on it wont let me do anything on the drive. And ive also tried splitting the partitions into a primary and a extended partition with 2 logical partitions below 130gig but it still wont let me access anything under the drive names all it comes up with is Invalid mediad type reading drive c: Abort, Retry, Fail?
    or d if i was trying to use partition d or e respectivly. So i cant load win 98. any ideas please? coz no matter what i do i cant seem to format it either before or after partitioning it.

thanx jon

ps doing hardware profile in a min lol

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Look around for a BIOS-update for that PC, it probably dows not recognize such a big HD.
    At the back of that HD there probably is a jumper to limit it to 32GB. Set that and format it in 2 partitions, 5GB for W98 (10GB for W2K or XP), the rest for data.
    If that does not work, and there is no BIOS-update for larger HDs, you can buy a separate PCI IDE-controller, which will be able to use the whole HD. Probably around £20.-

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.