TechSpot

Help choosing a motherboard for i7-3770k

By oscar1987
May 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a GTX 670 in the box, I have a I7 - 3770k processor on its way via UPS. next I need a motherboard, I understand the GTX is pci express 3.0, any suggestions on motherboards budget ~$200? thx in advance

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I've renamed the thread to something more suitable, as that will help with responses.

It would be helpful to know what features you desire as well. Do you need a minimum number of SATA ports, a certain number of PCI-E lanes? The motherboard you choose for your budget depends on several factors, its not just a case of getting the one closest to your budget.

3. oscar1987

oscar1987 TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 91

thx, for the help there...
    I want to have the opportunity to expand to 2 GTX 670 in the future, and the ability to have 16 gigs of ram.
    ive also bought the following items so far

Case – Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White
    Boot Drive – Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
    Storage – Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD

4. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 723   +51

As Lee said, a good description of the intended usage will be very helpful.
    As far as a performance/buck ratio is concerned, nothing I've seen beat Asrock so far. You might want to check out the P-series and Z-series (a.k.a. Extreme series).I personally recommend the Asrock Z77 Extreme6.
    Asrock is a sub-brand of ASUS, I've heard, so you might want to also take a look at it's ASUS equivalent for feature variations.
    Sabertooth maybe?

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Also, check out our Z77 motherboard shoot-out as well: http://www.techspot.com/review/521-intel-z77-motherboard-roundup/

Both the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6, or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and Z77X-UD5H-WB (if you want wireless and bluetooth as well, otherwise identical to UD5H) are ideal for your requirements, and under or around your budget.

Me personally, I'd go with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, its a fantastic motherboard.