TechSpot

Help, choosing between x850 xt and the xt platinum(both AGP)

By kholdstare121
Dec 25, 2005
  1. I wanted to know if getting the platinum version is really worth 100 dollars moer?

2. Ruder

Ruder TS Rookie Posts: 134

No. Going for the X1800 series for $100+ more make sense.

3. kholdstare121

kholdstare121 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

But, my board is agp only. x1800 series is pci-e only, isn't it?

4. Ruder

Get the X850XT and get a new PCIe mobo later. Look up some reviews on both cards ...

5. kholdstare121

kholdstare121 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

And about graphics card purchasing, what are the main differences between different, distributors i guess?(sapphire, visiontek, asus) and the regular ati one. I did notice subtle clock speed differences, but besides that, are they basically the same card at different prices? :giddy:

6. PUTALE

PUTALE TS Rookie Posts: 178

yeah, I would recommend go for a new mobo and a x1800 card.

for the diff makers, sometimes the cooling is a bit different and the bundle softwares. the core is the same. Some have diff warranty. some cards are factory overclocked and it's covered under the warranty.

7. Ruder

Asus / Leadtek / Gigabyte = good with better parts. Better performance usually due to factory overclock.

Sapphire = midrange quality. Some issues with substandard cooling parts / VRAM when oc.

Sparkle etc. = Low quality ... low price. Substandard cooling systems - no oc possible without expensive cooling upgrades.

OCz usually get the midrange for a good price and upgrade cooling parts. I myself use a Sapphire X800 series with liquid cooling. OC'ed to the max ... :)

8. Arcanum

Arcanum TS Rookie Posts: 202

The PE isn't worth the extra 100$ IMO...

About the card brand - it's better to buy a card with a higher stock clocks - cause you're getting more performance from it from the start, and you're more likely to get it OC'ed higher because they usually use chips of more quality and/or better cooling.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.