Watch AMD unveil the Radeon RX 7800 XT and RX 7700 XT right here at 11 am EST / 8 am PT

midian182

Staff member
In brief: AMD is set to reveal details on a slew of products at Gamescom in a few hours, including the Radeon RX 7800 XT & RX 7700 XT, FSR 3, and HYPR-RX. You can watch the entire livestream right here at 11 am EST / 8 am PT.

It sounds as if AMD will have plenty on show in Germany, but the headliners during the event should be the new graphics cards, which it is calling the "next generation of 1440p Gaming GPUs."

VideoCardz posted some AMD slides ahead of time showing the two new GPUs' performance against Nvidia's equivalents. According to the chart, the RX 7700 XT 12GB beats the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB by an average of 12% at 1440p with max settings. The biggest difference is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, with Team Red's card running the game 31% faster than Team Green's.

The RX 7800 XT was put up against the RTX 4070 12GB. AMD's advantage is lower here, outperforming Nvidia's card by 3.5%, though COD: MW 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 both ran 23% faster on the Radeon. We know not to put too much faith in these sort of charts, so taking them with a pinch of salt is suggested.

The new Radeons mark the arrival of the Navi 32 GPU in gaming cards. The RX 7800 XT uses its full 60 compute units, 60 RT accelerators, and 120 AI accelerators. It also packs 16GB of GDDR6 memory, a 256-bit memory interface (19.5 Gbps), and a 263W TBP.

The RX 7700 XT, meanwhile, has 54 CUs, 108 AI accelerators, and 12GB of GDDR6 memory across a 192-bit bus (18 Gbps). Its TBP is 245W.

AMD also said that there will be no reference models of the RX 7700 XT – the render is for marketing purposes – and both cards will support DisplayPort 2.1.

Beyond graphics cards, AMD is expected to unveil more of FSR 3 (FidelityFX Super Resolution) and HYPR-RX. They were originally announced months ago but no supported games have been confirmed.

AMD previously said that the next iteration of FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR 3.0) will give users a two-fold increase in frame performance compared to the existing FSR 2.0. HYPR-RX, meanwhile, combines Anti-Lag, Radeon Boost, and Radeon Super Resolution (RSR), bringing faster frame rates and lower latency with a single click.

Make sure to come back at 11 am EST / 8 am PT to see all of AMD's announcements.

Permalink to story.

Based on the 7900 GRE, I have 0 expectations. The not-7700xt and not-7600xt are gonna look REALLY silly against the $650 launch price of the 6800xt. I guess AMD really enjoys being in a distant 2nd place with single digit marketshare.

Based on the 7900 GRE, I have 0 expectations. The not-7700xt and not-7600xt are gonna look REALLY silly against the $650 launch price of the 6800xt. I guess AMD really enjoys being in a distant 2nd place with single digit marketshare.
Look at those charts, they are trading blows with Nvidia's offering with 1st party benchmarks. When AMD is matched Nvidia's performance 80% of gamers still bought Nvidia's GPUs. I really hope they announce FSR 3.0 asap. Also Moore'slawisdead latest podcast claiming Nvidia might lower 4060ti pricing soon.

Look at those charts, they are trading blows with Nvidia's offering with 1st party benchmarks. When AMD is matched Nvidia's performance 80% of gamers still bought Nvidia's GPUs. I really hope they announce FSR 3.0 asap. Also Moore'slawisdead latest podcast claiming Nvidia might lower 4060ti pricing soon.
First off: imagine trusting first party benchmarks LMFAO.

Second, playing second fiddle to nearly year old nvidia cards, for similar prices midn you, isnt a recipe for success. Somehow AMD has not figured this out yet. It is a FACT that the 7900 GRE is roughly 6800xt performance tier, and it is also fact that the 7800xt is 3/4ths the size of a 7900GRE. You can do the math from there. Remember: the launch price of the 6800 was $579, and it was possible to get 6800 XTs and even higher for ~$600 post GPU crash. If the 7800xt is a penny over $400, it'll be a sidestep in perf/$. And it WILL be more then $400.

AMD themselves also admitted to restricting GPU production and shipments, so the "muh 80% nvidia" excuse doesnt fly. AMD COULD have captured a huge market by actually producing parts, but chose not to.

Second, playing second fiddle to nearly year old nvidia cards, for similar prices midn you, isnt a recipe for success. Somehow AMD has not figured this out yet. It is a FACT that the 7900 GRE is roughly 6800xt performance tier, and it is also fact that the 7800xt is 3/4ths the size of a 7900GRE. You can do the math from there. Remember: the launch price of the 6800 was $579, and it was possible to get 6800 XTs and even higher for ~$600 post GPU crash. If the 7800xt is a penny over $400, it'll be a sidestep in perf/$. And it WILL be more then $400.

AMD themselves also admitted to restricting GPU production and shipments, so the "muh 80% nvidia" excuse doesnt fly. AMD COULD have captured a huge market by actually producing parts, but chose not to.
I think the fact that they can match or even beat cards in both performance and price is the selling point, it's not about being the best. it's about being a great alternative to first party GPUs for a much more affordable price. even if the 7800 XT sells for more than 400 it will still compete with the 4070 which sells for 600. also, your statement about the 7900 GRE has 1% lows higher than the 6800 XT's average framerate.

Somehow AMD has not figured this out yet. It is a FACT that the 7900 GRE is roughly 6800xt performance tier, and it is also fact that the 7800xt is 3/4ths the size of a 7900GRE. You can do the math from there. Remember: the launch price of the 6800 was $579, and it was possible to get 6800 XTs and even higher for ~$600 post GPU crash. If the 7800xt is a penny over $400, it'll be a sidestep in perf/$. And it WILL be more then $400.
looks like 60cu's on rdna3 aren't enough to match 72cu's on rdna2 indeed, let alone beat it.
7800xt needs to be 450eur tops to make any sense

VCJ8uOq.jpg

I think the fact that they can match or even beat cards in both performance and price is the selling point, it's not about being the best. it's about being a great alternative to first party GPUs for a much more affordable price. even if the 7800 XT sells for more than 400 it will still compete with the 4070 which sells for 600. also, your statement about the 7900 GRE has 1% lows higher than the 6800 XT's average framerate.
Outside of the 7900xtx, they are not beating the price nor performance of their previous generation of GPUs.

The Verge states the prices are $449 7700XT and $499 7800XT, is that right? It would be ludicrous to buy the 7700XT if that's the case. Less VRAM and less performance for just a $50 savings. I feel like that can't be right.

PC Gamer also has these prices. The 7700 XT is pointless if this the case. Should have been $399 max if they did $500 on the 7800 XT, the 7800 XT @ $500 with 16GB of VRAM and +4070 performance I think, AMD might have a winner there. 7700 XT not so much.

Last edited:
Faster and cheaper than the cards they're competing against....
those prices are in Euro. after 5 minutes the prices in Dollars were displayed.
Radeon RX 7800 XT is priced at USD $499, while the RX 7700 XT is priced at $449

those prices are in Euro. after 5 minutes the prices in Dollars were displayed.
Radeon RX 7800 XT is priced at USD $499, while the RX 7700 XT is priced at $449
Don't understand what people are complaining about, in general. I got a 6700xt in december for $320 but I'm waiting for the price of the 7900xt to come down a bit more. However, if the 7800xt was available at the time for $500 I would happily have bought that instead. I'd still be running my 1070ti if it didn't die on me.

I think the only other card I enjoyed as much as my 1070ti was my 8800gt SLi setup

Hoping 7800xt will challenge 4070, but 550 euros, wtf? If it`s slightly worse and ofc in true AMD fashion, bad RT, then Nvidia won`t even care about adjusting their price. If Nvidia`s slogan is "The way it`s meant to be paid", AMD`s is "Just follow Nvidia".

Well they are definitely not sandbagging lol. Imagine believing they are sandbagging 🤣.

Faster and cheaper than the cards they're competing against....
not really faster than 4070/6800xt/3080, you'll see once reviews are out. see how tiny difference between 7900gre and 4070 is, now see 7900gre is a 80cu card and 7800xt is a 60cu card. core clocks are lower too.

The only good news is FSR3 from this stream.
coming soon lol. not a definite date like coming with starfield. for all we know, this fsr3 thing could be coming in 3 months time or later. not that I care, I do have a 6800 but I don't think it'll be any good.

Last edited:
coming soon lol. not a definite date like coming with starfield. for all we know, this fsr3 thing could be coming in 3 months time or later. not that I care, I do have a 6800 but I don't think it'll be any good.
Like all ATI/AMD software/drivers released after hardware 6 to 12 months delay. And they still ask a lot from gamers to support them. Why should we?

I hate Nvidia/Intel with all my might, but I cant be a labrat for AMD.

Sales are low and will stay this way until they all understand that in this time we shifted our money toward other stuff. Entertaiment it's not on the list. At least not at new prices.

"this is a good time to buy" someone say on stage today, yeah right you got your bonus delayed or something boys?

not really faster than 4070/6800xt/3080, you'll see once reviews are out. see how tiny difference between 7900gre and 4070 is, now see 7900gre is a 80cu card and 7800xt is a 60cu card. core clocks are lower too.
I don't understand why people are getting mad about the GRE, it was a product developed for the Chinese market to comply with US sanctions and isn't even avaliable for purchase outside of pre-built systems. Its cost is irrelevant because you can't buy it and isn't even available outside of Asia or Australia. It might as well not exist.

What was the MSRP of the 6800xt? If I remember correctly, it was an $800 card. This will likely be faster and have an MSRP less than the 6800xt. Don't like it? You can still but 6000 series cards. And, most importantly, these cards will bring down the cost of "new-old" stock so those 6800xt's going for $500 right now could drop to 400 or below. This will likely put the 6700xt below the $300 mark.

People are so angry about this launch for absolutely no reason while also ignoring the other market implications its going to have. The 7700xt will force a price drop on the entire 4060 series.

I don't understand why people are getting mad about the GRE, it was a product developed for the Chinese market to comply with US sanctions and isn't even avaliable for purchase outside of pre-built systems. Its cost is irrelevant because you can't buy it and isn't even available outside of Asia or Australia. It might as well not exist.

What was the MSRP of the 6800xt? If I remember correctly, it was an $800 card. This will likely be faster and have an MSRP less than the 6800xt. Don't like it? You can still but 6000 series cards. And, most importantly, these cards will bring down the cost of "new-old" stock so those 5800xta going for $500 right now could drop to 400 or below. This will likely put the 6700xt below the $300 mark.

People are so angry about this launch for absolutely no reason while also ignoring the other market implications its going to have. The 7700xt will force a price drop on the entire 4060 series.
gre was just a reference to how 80cu's with 256-bit bus and cut IC on rdna3 performs. and it's underwhelming when 6950xt beats it.
6800xt was 650, not 800. recently as cheap as 500.
And I do still have a 6800 fighter as secondary, no plans to sell it atm, as I might regret it.

I hate Nvidia/Intel with all my might, but I cant be a labrat for AMD.
Yeah, my economic interest comes first, there is no space for sentiment there.
I did like the 6800 experience, but was disappointed with lack of fsr2 image quality progress while nvidia kept making dlss better and better. now they're adding ray reconstruction to rtx2000 and later. fsr2/amd's rt is years of r/d behind nvidia. And the older I get, the more I care about IQ over getting +100 frames per second playing mostly snail-paced games on a controller. dldsr+dlssq blows my mind in terms of image quality you get at still playable fps.

Last edited:
gre was just a reference to how 80cu's with 256-bit bus and cut IC on rdna3 performs. and it's underwhelming when 69500xt beats it.
And I do still have a 6800 fighter as secondary, no plans to sell it atm, as I might regret it.
So the 7800xt is $150 cheaper than the 6800xt was at launch and people are mad about that?

I know now that you were referencing the GRE as a performance metric, I would like to say that the card exists for political reasons. It's not a card AMD wanted to make, it exists so AMD can sell more cards in China while still complying with US trade law.

So the 7800xt is $150 cheaper than the 6800xt was at launch and people are mad about that?
Isn't. 550 eur here. 6800xt sells at 520. 4070 at 550 on sale too.
used 3080 cost me 389eur, mint condition, half warranty left.
Kudos to them for making fsr3 fg available for rtx30 too though. IMO they should not have done that, cater for your paying customers first ffs amd.

gre was just a reference to how 80cu's with 256-bit bus and cut IC on rdna3 performs. and it's underwhelming when 6950xt beats it.

Yeah, my economic interest comes first, there is no space for sentiment there.
I did like the 6800 experience, but was disappointed with lack of fsr2 image quality progress while nvidia kept making dlss better and better. now they're adding ray reconstruction to rtx2000 and later. fsr2/amd's rt is years of r/d behind nvidia. And the older I get, the more I care about IQ over getting +100 frames per second playing mostly snail-paced games on a controller. dldsr+dlssq blows my mind in terms of image quality you get at still playable fps.

Yikes FSR 3 might not even come to AMD'S biggest title of the year either and only a handful of games like Cyberpunk2077, Immortals of Aveum and Forspolen
@9:45 Hardware Unboxed yt video just dropped
🤦‍♂️

Back