TechSpot

Help choosing the right videocard

By boostedf22
Feb 11, 2009
  1. SO I have a Dell Optiplex GX280. Not to sure on the model number, but its not a full size tower, nor a tiny tower. Kinda in between the two. Stand it or lay it flat.

I am wanting to get a graphics card for it. I know I will need a slim card, as well as a power supply.(Lost already) I come here for some help. Comp specs as of now are intel 3.0, 2gb ram, 80gb HD, on board graphics chip. I would like to max out what the mother board could support. So a nice card (-$200.00) would be ideal if the option is there.

http://tomcat.yc.edu/servman/desktops/GX280_UG/sffabout.htm#1051997 --- this is my comp

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

2. brotheryang17

brotheryang17 TS Rookie

are you wanting spend $200 for both video and power supply? also what kind of interface do you have a pcie or apg?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

I recommend this PSU and this card, since I'm not sure a full-length card like the HD 4850 will fit. Check the dimensions on the HD 4850 and see if it can fit. If it can, then this card is what I recommend.

4. boostedf22

boostedf22 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah 200 for both. I have a PCI-E x16
    `

5. boostedf22

Whats the difference from the pci-e 2.0 and the pci-e x16 ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770 --this one is too big. Low profile only. SO the first option is the best choice?

6. boostedf22

Heres another one, since I need a power supply that is more rectangle shaped then a square box. I am having a hard time finding the right power supply to fit in the smaller sized case. Is it possible to swap internals to a normal sized tower? If so, would any case work ?

7. brotheryang17

brotheryang17 TS Rookie

If thats what you wanted you could swap everything into a regular case but if your not really sure you can do it i would recommend it, a lot of things can go wrong.

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Yep, any mid-tower case will do. The Antec Three Hundred is an excellent mid-tower case that can be had for around $40 or so.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.