Help computer lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

abs_kiran

hi i got a big problem..

wen i open my computer explorer doesnt show up. only documents does.....

then i manually go to task manager, launch it manually but after i do that, when everything is visible the mouse and keyboard freeze, but everything on the desktop is working.....

b4 i manually open explorer the mouse and keyboard work,,,but as soon as open it and everything looks ok, they freez but the computer is still runningg....

plzzzz. i need help

Well, that tells you something! Open in Safe Mode. Once there, navigate to My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Checking> check both boxes on the screen> OK> Close the nag message that comes up and Reboot.

Let the checking complete. The system will boot into Normal mode when finished. See if this clears the problem. If it does not, you'll need to check the Event Viewer for the errors that occur at startup time:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then paste (use CTRL-V) the event details here. It makes for easy reporting of the event-you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description-but paste all else.

You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

Please note: Some error will occur if you have to do this in Safe Mode. We will be able to overlook them, but look for the additional errors.

When you post back, please give your computer specs re operating system, browser and version, installed RAM. If you have Windows XP, did you get the SP3 update and did this problem begin after that?

i can use windows explorer...(im vista by the way) but it seems as if it frezzes after the desktop and start menu show up.....like wen it starts wen documents show up i can use that to navigate but wen i launch explorer through task manager, the mouse and keyboard freeze....

ACER T690 (retail)
vista 32.bit (sp1)
ram (1gb,pc2-4300)(2x512mb)
8400gs...............

BTW...

recently i bought a graphics card.... and to install the graphics card i had to get a new power supply......while installing my power supply,,,,i was plugging in the HDD data cable (the 1 that goes from the hdd to the motherboard) and the input slot sort of snapped....the little thing that kept the cable in its place snapped,,,and wen i was pluggin it in it was wasnt staying...and therefore the computer wasnt working (BOOT FaILURE)..so i had to hold the cable in myself and wrap it in stiky tape....it is working now my hdd and power suplly.....) after this the computer began to have the explorer problem and in the beggining all i had to do was press new task explorer and it would work prefectly but, now as i said the mouse and keyboard freeze wen i launce explorer................

(IM NOT SURE WHETHER THIS CHANGES ANYTHING THOUGH)

but the funny thing is i can open windows explorer (e.g my documents) and do anything from there but wen i launch explorer from task manager and the start menu and desktop show up it freezes////

also i want to ask is it possible to fix the bracket that broke so the cable can stay there...is there a way u can replace the bracket coz it sort of looks detachable//

i was suggesting maybe it could be a driver problem since it doesnt happen in safe mode

Hi abs_kiran, I see you've been replying to yourself since I've been offline
It's best to use EDIT, to add more comments. instead. You'll find EDIT in the bottom right hand corner of only your posts.

That data cable (likely just an IDE cable) can be replaced, they're very cheap. Also if the data cable is pushed in securely, then it won't fall out anyway (ie the side clips don't matter) I agree that this is not the fault you are having though.

Please go back to Safe Mode, and then run MSCONFIG. Select the Startup Tab, and untick everything in there, then Restart (back to Normal mode)

Is it working now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back