HELP! Computer shut down and will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Last week my computer was running fine as it had been since I built it last year. However, one day I left it running while I went take have some coffee and when I returned (after about 1/2 hour) the system was shut off and I could not turn it back on. The fuse in the plug had blown and I can hear a faint static-like crackle when the power lead is connected to the machine.

My first assumption was a PSU problem, but I have tried an alternate PSU and power cable in all combinations with the existing units (though I did change the original fuse :p) and it makes no difference - there is absolutely no evidence of any disc spinning or fan whirring or any power getting through at all whatever is used.

So. Motherboard problem? HDD problem?

No idea.

Current system is as follows:

Gigabyte 775 MoBo
450W PSU
3.0GHz dual-core intel CPU
2 x 2GHz OCZ RAM
1 x EVGA 9800GT GPU
1 x IDE HDD (main with O/S)
1 x SATA HDD (sencondary)
1 x IDE DVD drive

Sorry it's vague, but I'm at work now and can't remeber exactly what I put in over a year ago!

Thanks for any advice.
Gav.

Gav,

You didn't mention if you replaced the fuse. I presume you did.

You eliminated the PSU which would be the most likely culprit in this case.

It's not the HDD as there is no power applied at all, as BIOS would start and is independent of the HDD.

It's looking like the MoBo is fried. You will need to take it to the local comp store.

-- Andy

Ok, thanks. Do you think it's likely to be an easy-fix problem? I'm just wondering as the only PC store near me change £40+ just for diagnosis and whether it would be worth doing this or going for a new MoBo instead (which had crossed my mind before this incident anyway).

In most cases, if there's a problem with the MoBo, they just replace it. You don't really fix MoBos as most parts are integrated.

Sorry but this is going to cost you money now! (er ... Sterling!) There is no alternative (that I can think of at least!)

-- Andy

Take your motherboard out and put it on a non conducting surface. Plug in the bare minimum components for turning the PC on (one stick of ram, on-board graphics instead of video card, no hard drives / cd-rom.) This will help to rule out other things. If you still have no signal on the monitor after checking all connectors then it probably is a fried motherboard. Hopefully you can find someone to let you test your other stuff on.

Also try clearing the CMOS. Remove your battery from the mobo and keep it for about 10 minutes before putting it back in and powering up.

Let us know how you fare.

Take your motherboard out and put it on a non conducting surface. Plug in the bare minimum components for turning the PC on (one stick of ram, on-board graphics instead of video card, no hard drives / cd-rom.) This will help to rule out other things. If you still have no signal on the monitor after checking all connectors then it probably is a fried motherboard. Hopefully you can find someone to let you test your other stuff on.

Also try clearing the CMOS. Remove your battery from the mobo and keep it for about 10 minutes before putting it back in and powering up.

Let us know how you fare.

Ritwik, all that you mentioned has been eliminated because nothing starts. The only parts that cause this and be swapped are the PSU, the fuse or a grounding issue (unlikely.) If it's not those and BIOS doesn't start or power led comes on, the MoBo is fried.

All Gav can do now is take it to the computer store. Nothing else he or we can do.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back