Help deleting Autodesk files with CCleaner

geoghoul

Hello everyone
I have windows 7 professional and about a week ago I installed Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 student and teacher version. Unfortunately I did not like the interface of the program so I wanted to get Maya instead. I uninstalled 3ds Max but there are still lots of files in my computer that are to do with the program. I have checked the Autodesk website on how to delete everything on the program but I do not want to risk deleting something that has nothing to do with the program. Instead I installed ccleaner and used that but the files are still in the computer. How do I use ccleaner to delete the Autodesk files and nothing else.

CCleaner just cleans temporary files any other clutter your hard drive, not uninstalled program files.
Only do the following if you havent installed Maya yet:
Go to your documents and delete the Autodesk files that are there (about 1 GB saved),. After this, go to my computer, click on the C drive (or whatever primary drive you got), then click on the folder called program files and search for autodesk, delete that whole file, it will prompt for administrative use, click continue. After this, go to the folder named Program files (x86) (there probably isnt anything on this since autodesk is a 64bit program and will install in the program files folder if your PC is 64bit).

I have deleted 3dsMax, Inventor Server x64 3dsMax and Inventor Server x64 Direct Connect folders after clicking on Documents. I have also deleted the Autodesk file in Program Files. There are no Autodesk files when I go in Program Files (x86) but in Common Files which is withen Program Files (x86) there is an Autodesk Shared folder that is empty but should this also be deleted. When I click on the C drive there is an Autodesk file and there is also a tmp file. The tmp file contains rendered images and the Autodesk file contains more Autodesk related folders so should I delete both of these files aswell.

I have deleted 3dsMax, Inventor Server x64 3dsMax and Inventor Server x64 Direct Connect folders after clicking on Documents. I have also deleted the Autodesk file in Program Files. There are no Autodesk files when I go in Program Files (x86) but in Common Files which is withen Program Files (x86) there is an Autodesk Shared folder that is empty but should this also be deleted. When I click on the C drive there is an Autodesk file and there is also a tmp file. The tmp file contains rendered images and the Autodesk file contains more Autodesk related folders so should I delete both of these files aswell.
I dont see why not. If you dont have any autodesk products on your PC at the moment, then I guess you are fine. I have found this online after researching: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19165706&linkID=16831209

Thanks UNKNOWN9122 for finding that Autodesk uninstaller tool even though I should have found it easily my self since it was just below the Autodesk uninstall guide. I have actually found another uninstaller program which looks very good because it will remove the program and any leftovers like files and stuff in the registry. I don't want to pay for the Revo Pro version but I will get the free one which doesn't fully support 64bit OS but can still work. One problem though is that I have already uninstalled Autodesk so do you or anyone else know if there is a way to make it delete the Autodesk files.

Revo Uninstaller Pro will still remove Autodesk files, if its folder or icon still exists so that you can point it to it.

If you don't want to pay for Revo Uninstaller Pro, you can get it on free trial to do your job.

If you can't get Revo to search for Autodesk leftover files, and you're really determined to get rid of them, one approach is to re-install Autodesk and then run Revo Uninstaller Pro at the advanced setting to do the most thorough uninstallation possible.

Revo Uninstaller Pro will still remove Autodesk files, if its folder or icon still exists so that you can point it to it.

If you don't want to pay for Revo Uninstaller Pro, you can get it on free trial to do your job.

If you can't get Revo to search for Autodesk leftover files, and you're really determined to get rid of them, one approach is to re-install Autodesk and then run Revo Uninstaller Pro at the advanced setting to do the most thorough uninstallation possible.
So Revo completely uninstalls things? How is it any better than the default uninstaller, does it not completely remove files?

Λ Λ Λ
If you use Revo, you'll see that it first applies the app's own uninstaller. It then continues to remove further leftovers.

Whether the app's own uninstaller will do a good job or not, depends on its design. Developers are usually interested in you installing their apps, not uninstalling them. So they don't pay much attention to the latter. They may even want to leave things behind for their own purposes.

I hope this answers your question.

Λ Λ Λ
If you use Revo, you'll see that it first applies the app's own uninstaller. It then continues to remove further leftovers.

Whether the app's own uninstaller will do a good job or not, depends on its design. Developers are usually interested in you installing their apps, not uninstalling them. So they don't pay much attention to the latter. They may even want to leave things behind for their own purposes.

I hope this answers your question.
Yeah it does. Thanks. I notice Microsoft uninstallers take so long while third party software, none come to my head at the moment, but some finish in literally 1 second. I love VLC because it asks to remove previous versions before it installs.

bobcat
You said that a good way to delete all Autodesk stuff is to re-install it then use Revo to delete everything. This is a method that I might try but would you say that using system restore is a better idea. Once I have restored the system to an earlier time I could delete or just leave Autodesk 3dsMax alone.

Just do what I did and you are fine, he is just stating what you should do to avoid doing what I told you.

If you can get rid of something with System Restore, all's fine and that's normally the first option. What I said applies if you can't.

Back