TechSpot

Help fix my 4GB flash drive!

By Invinter
Jul 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone, i have a 4GB PNY flash drive that i'm at my wits end trying to fix. The only place that i can actually see that its even connected to my computer is in "Device Manager". I've tried looking at its properties to see if i could find out what was wrong with it and is said "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". So like any self respecting person with a handy-dandy computer right in-front of them I went and googled what in the world a "Code 10" was and heres the description i got----

----"The Code 10 error code is generated when Device Manager has insufficient information or the error that is bubbled up by the device drivers is not recognized by Device Manager. Additionally, this error may occur when one of the drivers that the device needs does not start. If many drivers are being used by a particular device, it can be difficult to determine the one that failed. "

If there's any further information u need to help me figure this out feel free to post a message asking me, and i'll try to reply asap.

P.S. Thanks in advanced to all who at-least attempt to assist me in this matter.

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

3. Invinter

Invinter TS Rookie Topic Starter

Benny26

First of all thanks for the recommendation, although it didn't work for reasons that I now have a fair guess as to the reason why. Right after posting this question on TechSpot, I proceeded to go to the PNY website and E-mail their technical support to see if they could help fix it and unfortunately from my understanding the flashdrive i bought was broken from the first day i bought it.

"Unfortunately, there is no way to fix the drive and without the receipt I cannot replace it."

Thanks again for trying to help me, and hopefully the next time I buy a Flashdrive (never PNY again) it won't be a faulty piece of equipment from the start.

P.S. the moral of this story is definitely, "keep all receipts handy until you know whatever you buy actually works".

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Have you tried it in other computers to verify its not a driver issue on the original computer?

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

+1

Definitely try it on another machine first before you discard it.

One other driver related issue comes to mind if the problem is, in fact, local to just one machine. It's probably easiest to test it on other machine first before you try also see CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters

6. Invinter

Invinter TS Rookie Topic Starter

Driver issue

Actually if you look at PNY's flashdrives you find out that their flashdrives actually run on an internal drive, and do not need any drives directly from the computer. I went ahead and checked just incase, but so far it hasn't worked on 6 different computers.

7. Helmikuu

Helmikuu TS Rookie

Try this solution.

Connect your USB drive.
    Force turn off your computer by removing the power cord.
    Connect the power cord after a few seconds, and start your computer.
    Check your USB flash drive.

8. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

Are you serious? Or trying to make trouble :suspiciou

Yanking the power cord is NEVER a good idea. (doing so might even corrupt your internal drives)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.