Inactive Help Folks laptop, major issues very limited time span (naivety involved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right help me please......So my PC is reasonably up to date etc, run various things Secunia etc as well as scans backups etc etc….But I have a PC arriving tomorrow needing rather a lot of work.

My step dads PC )and family PC) he’s been getting various warnings and its been getting slower for weeks. Last time he visited he says he’d had a phone call from Microsoft asking him to check issues with his PC and it found problems.

I explained this was an absolute scam, but he’s getting on and next time I saw him he said he’d had the call again but refused to pay the money they asked (he was pleased with this). He had however allowed them to take over the PC.

I have the laptop from around 10Am to 7PM tomorrow (UK time sorry not sure where the forum is based…)…..I won’t have access to it for some time after that.

I have had a quick look at the sticky and will run through the items on it…but what else. In the timescales I have what are the safe options…

I’m know IT guru but I do understand the basics, registry, on line hygiene, installing software accounts etc manual reg edits where required, Dll replacement you get the idea….

Help please, really concerned if I don’t fix this they will be open to fraud and the slower the PC runs…apparently the more likely they are to listen to these now quite frequent calls…..

I would be glad to help-but- we are all volunteers here. None of us work on a schedule. Tomorrow is Sunday and the UK is on Western European Time, which is 5 hours ahead of EST. So according to your time line, if you have the computer from 10AM to 7PM, that will be 5AM to 2PM in my time zone.

Sorry, can't do it.

"I’m know IT guru but I do understand the basics, registry, on line hygiene, installing software accounts etc manual reg edits where required, Dll replacement you get the idea….">> time to pull out your smarts.

Regarding "allowed them to take over the PC">> if he allowed the whoever made the calls to connect remotely, you can consider the system compromised. In that case, I recommend a reformat/reinstall.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Its a good call, from observing your forum I did think that whilst you were all really supportive u were US based. I will draw on my limited smarts, but looking at the sticky's its all about the logs, as I would expect...Is there anything other than adaware and malware (which I am told.....both error and fail.......) which I could try please

I have a gut feel there is at least one route kit in there given the fact they took over the PC via a web page??

I will try my best tomorrow AM for my mum and step dad, any help much appreciated !

Sorry noted the point re takeover, have mentioned the worst case to them, they didn't really understand.

Is there an way I can confirm my access right to the system please ?

As I said previously- if he allowed someone to use a remote connection to access his computer, consider the system compromised.

I have no idea what you mean by confirming your access right to the system. I have no information about the system or what malware may be on it.

I cannot help you under the circumstance given. We have a thread available for preliminary scans followed by help. If you cannot handle the problem within the time constraints and If he cannot or chooses not to use it or if he does not know how to Reformat and reinstall, he will need to take the PC into a shop and let them do it for him.

Or perhaps you can encourage him to register on TechSpot, point him to the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE and he can paste the logs in when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back