TechSpot

Help for specs on gaming PC

By chutchy100
Dec 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, i was looking to build a gaming pc and have put together the following as a plan but wondered if it will be any good, will it play new games and at high settings\ or would you recommend any adjustments?, I have a tight budget so any help is appreciated.

CPU – AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition (AM3, 3.20GHZ, 8MB Total Cache), Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium (32bit), 4 GB Kingston DDR2 Ram, 500w Power Supply
    Asrock K10N78M Motherboard, Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card
    500GB S-ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive, Sony Optiarc 24x SATA DVD Burner
    X Blade Silver ATX casing, 2 x Akasa AK191SM fans and standard Heatsink and CPU fans

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Drop down to a Phenom II X2 55x series CPU and get a more powerful video card instead. Also, what're the specs on the PSU? (brand and model number)

Lastly, I'd recommend the Cooler Master HAF 912 and the NZXT Beta EVO as better cases. Choose whatever fits your budget best, but the HAF 912 is the better of the two IMHO.

3. chutchy100

chutchy100 TS Rookie Topic Starter

is this CPU as good?, have not specced a price for psu yet, was just going to get a cheap one, any ideas on what will work best for me? thanks for help

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

The CPU doesn't make much of a difference in 90% of games, as long as it's a dual-core one with a frequency of 3.0GHz and above; games are still heavily dependent on the GPU.

I'd have to recommend a PSU based on your choice of video card and CPU as well as your budget. Just post a total budget, and your location, so we can recommend specific components.

5. chutchy100

budget

my budget would be about £500 as am in the uk.

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Check out this build:
    Grand Total = ~£505; all prices are inclusive of VAT, and delivery is free on most items. If you can't go over £500 at all, get this PSU instead of the Antec one. It should bring the total price down by £10 or so.

Good luck. :)

7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

Hey Moiz :wave:
    I will offer a bit of a different perspective on number of cores and gaming. I get to bench games on many different configurations and am finding with increasing results that games are being coded to take advantage of multi core CPU's, and in some cases don't run as well with only two cores. TS found this to be the case with MOH and CODBO, and I have found this to also be the case with F1 2010

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4092-f1-2010-cpu-usage.html

and BC2

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4089-bc2-half-dozen.html

If you are a lower res/lower detail gamer its not nearly pronounced, but if you play higher res (1680 x 1050 and up) I would stay with the quad CPU because multi core use is only going to become more pervasive. Like Moiz said, most games respond to increased clock speed, so don't sacrifice too much speed for the additional cores however (assuming you will not be overclocking)
    anyway that's my 2 cents worth chutchy

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Hey Greg! :wave:

My recommendation was actually based on the fact that the only multi-core CPUs that fit the OP's budget were either the slightly-higher-clocked Phenom II X2s, or the Athlon X2 and X3 CPUs. The latter have abysmal amounts of cache per-core (512KB), and out of the former, the X2 550 hit the sweet spot vis-a-vis price vs performance.

9. chutchy100

hey guys, thanks for your help on this, greatly appreciated. That is about my budget so all is good. :)

10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

On that I agree, you cant do better than the 55x's for the money. Just thought long range it's something to consider. I'm running into more and more games that need +2 to get the max out of.

11. Rage_3K_Moiz

I understand, and I think the AM3 upgrade path provides for a great upgrade to triple\quad\hex core CPUs, in case the OP needs to later.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.