Help getting x4 630 to 4GHz

Alster37

I am only doing this really to get the 4ghz overclock as a sign of achievement but also to learn a little more about the process itself.

ok heres what ive tried so far

3.2ghz @ 1.40v = no boot

3.2ghz @ 1.425v = boot & stable

3.4ghz@ 1.425v = boot & not stable

3.6ghz @ 1.45v = boot & not stable

3.6ghz @ 1.475v = boot & not stable

3.6ghz @ 1.50v = boot & not stable

Ram speeds are fine as I am changing the multiplier to keep it as close to stock speeds as possible. On last two tries it boots then tries to log in to windows 7 then crashes into constant restart.

1.) any ideas how to get it stable?
2.) what is the max voltage my cpu can take?

thanks if you can help :D

What motherboard are you overclocking on, 4GHz was an achievement for me too lol. i been at 4GHZ for about an year now, im about to push it to 4.25-4.3GHZ in a few weeks.

oh I only have a stock cooler but I go on the whole thing of if its under max temp on the games I play its stable. I dare say I never use 100% on all cores. Idle tempss @ 3.2 are 36c. I cant get it stable any higher. no matter the voltage increase in north bridge or cpu.

No one has mentioned anything about temps, and types of cooling. So spill it.

Besides this very salient point ^^^^^
getting the 630 to 4Ghz is going to be next to impossible even with the best hardware unless you won the binning lottery. beyond that the max recommended vcore under 'normal' circumstances is 1.55v. you might try lowering the HT multi from x10 to x8 keep the frequency at or below 2600Mhz. a .05-.10 bump in NB and HT voltage might be effective as well. Like Super said, you need to make sure your cooling is sufficient as 1.55v is going to generate a lot of heat and raise your CPU TDP from 95W to about 120w.

It does seem strange though red, as It has reached 3.6 in the past. Its as if the more I try the lower I have to settle with. I've had about 12 CMOS clears today alone. :(

and I suppose its not so bad as I get my x6 and h50 in 3 weeks :)

Think you damaged something?
you might try the above with AOD (I assume your OC'ing in the bios if you are clearing your bios so much) if your just pushing the bus with the HT multi at x10 it will fail there for sure. 2400-2600Mhz is as high as your going to get on the NB/HT

it would make sense red. 10x the needed fbs for 3.6ghz is 257 which is a large figure. I will do one test and get back to you in 2mins

settings:

1.5v cpu
+0.1 on northbridge
lower multiplier on ht to 8
fsb: 257

lets see what happens :D

didnt boot, went to constant restart straight away. there wasn't a ht multiplier there was only a frequency which I set to 1.6ghz. I set the cpu volts to 1.5 and the nb to 1.10v northbridge frequency was actually a multiplier from the looks of it so i set it to x8 instead of x10. I assumed that would affect ht freq (fsb freq x multi). so to be honest I dont know what went wrong I am assuming at the moment it may have been damaged slightly. to be fair my motherboard doesn't have many tweaking options.

What psu do you have. If its not a great brand, it could be setting in its phases of degradation. I dont see you gettin it to 4ghz unless you're on water regardless. Even if you manage it to micro tweak your temps and voltage, they will probably cause a problem for 24/7 use.

win power 800watts. But to be fair though I ran my system on a cheap 600watts a few months back with no problems.

and don't feel bad. even with great boards an FX/GX chipsets and stellar air cooling and PSU's, 3.6-3.8Ghz is what the vast majority are getting for max OC. I know nothing about 'WinPower' but I would bet if you check its probably at 350-400mv of ripple at load. (just a guess)

some just get lucky I suppose. I saw a guy who got 4.4GHz with my processor at 1.488v. Besides I might get 4GHz with a x6 1055t and a h50 :D

oh and winpower are like inbetween a cheap and a decent psu. about £36

some just get lucky I suppose. I saw a guy who got 4.4GHz with my processor at 1.488v. Besides I might get 4GHz with a x6 1055t and a h50

that's a pretty solid bet.:) most are getting at least 4.0Ghz. I got mine to rock stable 4.17Ghz with little to no effort on air. Doesn't even run warm with a V-8

Yeah AMD rules over intel. :D oh red did you read my latest pm? I am declaring an interest in your 4850 x2. oh and what sort of temps can i expect? what temps do you get with your v8?

Yep, let me get it posted for intl shipping.
I am not touching 40c at 4.17Ghz, but I have exceptional air flow surrounding a V-8.

god I hope my h50 does that well for the extra £15. Il put 2 fans on it to lower temps.
Im off to spain in 8 hours so il be off for 2 weeks. But dont worry il keep checking techspot every 2 days or so. :D

and il have a new processor to look forward to when i get back :D

oh and red if I wanted crossfire could i just get a second powersupply to power the 2nd card? Mainstream psus are so expensive

You can, I would jump on the FSP Booster X5. I am in love with the things...obviously :)
very low heat and Ripple. They are not exactly cheap at $80.00 USD a pop, but I think worth it for dedicated clean power.

Yep, let me get it posted for intl shipping.
I am not touching 40c at 4.17Ghz, but I have exceptional air flow surrounding a V-8.

Does your vga setup constrict your airflow at all? Have you tried calculating the cfm in to cfm out? That's what I'm trying to do right now.

Back