Help - google keeps redirecting me to a different website

By menelas
Aug 10, 2009
  1. Every time I click on a search result on google, it redirects me to an advertising page, or a different website. I was wondering what is going on here, and how I can fix this.

Example: I type in Drupal modules
    I see the correct link, I click it but rather it taking me to Drupal modules it takes me to a different link. Any ideas? Thank you.
  2. Placebos

Placebos TS Rookie Posts: 42

Hi Menelas!

Have you tried doing this on other browsers?
    Also, not likely but something to try is to delete temporary files and cookies.
    Have you attempted running any anti-malware programs such as "Malewarebytes Anti-malwware"

Hope that helps.
  3. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk TS Rookie

menelas... is this the only issue you are experiencing?... if so, this is a Browser Hijacker, and if you have Spybot installed, make sure:

1] You are in Advanced MODE: Click MODE in toolbar and switch to Advanced

2] TOOLS switches are ON: Click on TOOLS button down on the left/near bottom, then [check *all 14 boxes*] on right side, as "8" are OFF by default.

3] Update/Immunize after update (if switches weren't on, it will need to d/l "definitions for those boxes checked").

4] RUN (Check For Problems): Anything showing up in RED will be removed when "Fix Selected Problems" is clicked after scan.

5] After the *clean*, run CCleaner to "remove any leftover junk" (GUTMANN 35-Pass is most thorough), followed by it's Registry Fixer to "fix issues" caused by the hijacker(s).

Note: You can *set* your CCleaner's PASS by:
    1] Clicking on *Options* (4th tab down)
    2] Clicking *Settings* tab (tab #1, 2nd window)
    3] On "Secure Deletion", click the *Secure File Deletion (slower)* and choose "Gutmann (35 passes)".
    ~You're now ready to "Cleaner".

That should clear-up the browser's re-direct/hijacker issue :).
  4. menelas

menelas TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am very confused here. I used Spybot, and it found errors, which got fixed.
    But the same problem is appearing. My computer is a little bit slow, and that's the only problems I am having.

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

menelas, we're short of trained malware helpers here. In the meantime, I suggest you give this site a try:
    Virus and Malware Removal:

Most sites have Preliminary Removal Instructions. Please follow those and post the logs.

You might want to hold off on the extra work from Spybot search & Destroy and follow the programs recommended. Giving directions with no information is not recommended.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.