Help ... Hard Drive SMOKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just moved and one of my 4 computers wouldn't power up, so I re-seated the CPU and it powered up fine. However, I looked down to see my main hard drive smoking. I quickly pull the power plug. Maybe 4 seconds passed. I then pulled the drive and put it in an external enclosure to test it and it won't even power up. I really, really, really need some of the data off that drive. Is there a possibility that the power portion or circuit board is fried yet the data might still be there that I could somehow access it?

I have backups of most things, but alas, not everything. I'm looking for good news if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks
Brent

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I think there`s a good chance your data will still be intact. However, getting to it could be tricky.

If you have an identical hard drive, you might be able to swap the circuit boards.

There are lots of companies that would retrieve your data for you, but it tends to be quite expensive.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

get a USB to IDE adapter. You might be able to pull data if you can get it to power up. If not, I am afraid the only way to pay for a professsional data recovery service. This can get quite expensive and may not be worth it.

wow, a smoking hard drive, thats one i havnt heard for a while. As Howard said, you probably could still recover your date, if the hard drive is still powering on you could use a program called "restoration" for recovery. If not, there may be no alternative solution except getting data recovery experts to recover the data. To give an idea however, this could cost up to $5000.

All the best of luck

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back