((HELP)) How to remove a program using DOS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

niner49

I need some help removing a program from my system that does not what to get removed. I had installed "Business Plan Pro 2003" off kazaalite and it worked fine. I no longer have any use for it and when I try to remove it using the add and remove programs I get a message to enter an alternate path containing a file "bpp2003premier_605_613.msp". I have tried deleting it from the registry but it dosen't seem to work. If I open the add and remove programs list its still there but it dosen't have a remove option anymore. So now I just restored the registry again. How can I get this friggen program off. :mad:

Run the original install file again, it may give you an uninstall option when it detects it's already there.

Or try this:
If you want to uninstall an appliction that has no uninstall program and it is not listed in the Add/Remove applet of Control Panel (or that uninstall doesn't work), then just delete the directory/files. Drill down:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE

locating the applications entry and delete them.

Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu in either %windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or %windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\

If there is an entry in the Add/Remove list, edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

locate the entry and delete it. If the app has a service, edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

and scroll down till you locate it. Then delete it.

If this app starts automatically and there is no entry in the StartUp folder(s), then use Regedt32 to edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

load REG_SZ and
run REG_SZ

Remove the offending value and reboot.

What do you mean? Load REG_SZ and run REG_SZ ???????

If this app starts automatically and there is no entry in the StartUp folder(s), then use Regedt32 to edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

load REG_SZ and
run REG_SZ

Also How do I get here....Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu in either %windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or %windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\

%windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or
%windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\
%windir% = C:\Windows\ or C:\WINNT, whatever your windows directory is.
YouId = your username, (your profile) :)

To remove the entry from add/remove programs start regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Uninstall
and delete the reg key for that program. :)

I Still don't understand this.... Please tell me step by step..sorry i'm stupid :blush: [%windir%]?? .... do I go Start/programs/accessories/windows explorer....then what???? If I go into there I don't see any thing called "profiles"

alphnumeric said:
%windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or
%windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\
%windir% = C:\Windows\ or C:\WINNT, whatever your windows directory is.
YouId = your username, (your profile)

OK DID THIS...
To remove the entry from add/remove programs start regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Uninstall
and delete the reg key for that program. :)

I found a file in local disk [c:]/Windows/downloaded installation so I deleted it..is that ok? The file was for the unwanted program.

ALSO ...what about the "program files" folder. Do I delete the unwanted program from there????

OK on my XP pro PC it ends up being
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\start menu\programs\...etc OR
C:\Documents and Settings\Kerry (MY username)\start menu\programs\...etc
when I go to windows explorer. I'll have to edit my info since that "profiles" is confusing, sorry. :)

OK..i've done everything now and its still in the add and remove programs list...but now it dosen't have the remove option... Mann this this just won't go away! :dead:

You know what I think what I posted is for win NT4, because it doesn't jive with windows XP or 2k from what I remember. My apologies. :) It was info I had saved from my travels on the internet. Looks like it's time to update it.

niner49 said:
OK..i've done everything now and its still in the add and remove programs list...but now it dosen't have the remove option... Mann this this just won't go away! :dead:

Normally if you click on a program in add/remove programs and windows can't find the uninstaller it will tell you so and then give you the option to remove the entry. Failing that you may have to look at each one of the entries that is a long string of numbers and letters under that regkey for add/remove programs. If you click or hilight one you can see what program it's for over on the right hand side of the screen. I had to do that with napster it had two entries and one was a long string of numbers and letters.

niner49 said:
I found a file in local disk [c:]/Windows/downloaded installation so I deleted it..is that ok? The file was for the unwanted program.

ALSO ...what about the "program files" folder. Do I delete the unwanted program from there????
Yes, you may want to just rename the folder and reboot to make sure it won't mess things up. If you don't get any errors it should be safe to delete.

what abput in program files...i removed the file from there and also the one in the common files folder. is that ok to do?

How do i get into the "regkey"?

kazaa is famous for having torjan horses. Use Ad-aware or Spybot to remove the offending program.

I redid this.
If you want to uninstall an appliction that has no uninstall program and it is not listed in the Add/Remove applet of Control Panel (or that uninstall doesn't work), then just delete the directory/files.
Start Regedit and drill down to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE

locating the applications entry and delete them.

Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu in either
C:\Documents and Folders\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or
C:\Documents and Folders\(your username)\Start Menu\Programs\

If there is an entry in the Add/Remove list, start regedit go to:

locate the entry and delete it.

If the app has a service, edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
and scroll down till you locate it. Then delete it.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows

load REG_SZ and
run REG_SZ

niner49 said:
what abput in program files...i removed the file from there and also the one in the common files folder. is that ok to do?

How do i get into the "regkey"?

start, run, and type regedit. That starts the windows registry editor. You want to be carfull editing the windows registry. If you edit or remove the wrong entry you could cripple windows to the point where it won't even bootup.

ok I have done everything and its still in the add and remove programs list. Everything I found for this program is deleted. I even did a seach to find all files containg this program name and deleted it too. ITS STILL HERE..AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! What if i get a hammer ...i think it will solve it fast :knock:

niner49 said:
What do you mean? Load REG_SZ and run REG_SZ ???????

load REG_SZ and
run REG_SZ

What that means is you go to
and look on the right for "load" and or "run" under the name heading. The next colume shows the type which is REG_SZ. If the data colume is empty just leave things as they are. If your program is listed in the data colume edit the data so it's blank oe empty.

niner49 said:
Also How do I get here....Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu in either %windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or %windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\
That should be
Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu in either
C:\Documents and Folders\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ and/or
C:\Documents and Folders\(your username)\Start Menu\Programs\

niner49 said:
ok I have done everything and its still in the add and remove programs list. Everything I found for this program is deleted. I even did a seach to find all files containg this program name and deleted it too. ITS STILL HERE..AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! What if i get a hammer ...i think it will solve it fast :knock:

Not sure if you saw this:
You may have to look at each one of the entries that is a long string of numbers and letters under that regkey for add/remove programs. If you click or hilight one you can see what program it's for over on the right hand side of the screen. I had to do that with napster it had two entries and one was a long string of numbers and letters.

start regedit and go to:

locate the entry and delete it.

I don't know why CurrentVersion ends up Cur rentVersion, something happens when I clip and past it.

Ok done the data is empty so i left it alone.... i'm going to reboot to see what happens ...be back in a 2 min

ok...i'm back i did a hard reboot and i checked the add and remove programs list.... and guess what....its still there :hotbounce

Dam, the cat came back, so to speak. Might be time to do what Tedster suggested. Scan for ad-ware, spy-ware, and mal-ware.

I have adware 6 and i did a scan earlier and deleted all the files that came up.

alphnumeric said:
Dam, the cat came back, so to speak. Might be time to do what Tedster suggested. Scan for ad-ware, spy-ware, and mal-ware.

The thing is I THINK that evrything is mostly gone but the damn thing is still in the add and remove list...but you can 't do anything to it. It has no remove option anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back