TechSpot

Help I can't play DVDs

By Neo_mill
Mar 25, 2008
  1. I have a gateway GM5066E its fairly new and i cant play DVDs i have tryed to use WMP and media center each time it tellls me "Your Video card or drivers are not compatble with media center/media player" I have tryed to install the driver but that has not worked when i baught it i could play dvds but my comp stopped working and my OS disk was shota tech guy came out and installed the OS but not the drivers (he wants to charge75$ an hour to do that) so far i have all of them installed exept one the one that allows me to play DVDs (Video controller (VGA compatable)) please help I dont have 75$

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

3. Neo_mill

Neo_mill TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok I am running XP media center and i have downloaded a video driver and it works correct but I need another to play DVDs. it says it cannot decode the video

4. ZenMatrix

ZenMatrix TS Rookie Posts: 19

most of the time gateways come with intervideo windvd if its not installed you should have a cd or use the recovery program normally in all-programs/system recovery and should be able to install it if not download vlc player as that will decode the dvds to use media player you need a decoder installed but usually have to purchase another program for that

5. Neo_mill

Neo_mill TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok but that was on my OS disk and the Techy through it out

6. Tmagic650

"WMP and media center each time it tellls me "Your Video card or drivers are not compatble with media center/media player"...

Are you still getting this error? Media Center should have its own DVD decoder/player... Try downloading a trial version of Nero 8 and see if you can play DVD's

7. Tmagic650

Intervideo WinDVD is not shipped with Microsoft Media Center PC's. It is not necessary. I remove it from all OEM computers I repair

8. ZenMatrix

ZenMatrix TS Rookie Posts: 19

Its a program thats usually bundled with gateways and thats what they include to make dvd playable with out it you would purchase something to decode the dvds

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.