TechSpot

HELP! I cloned XP on 2 partitions and XP is giving me AUTOCHK crash!

By DoesThisWork
Apr 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have XP Pro on my PC. I want to keep 2 copies of XP. One for daily use and one for gaming. I have experience with grub so I thought I could just dual boot the xp by hiding one partition each time. Not so!

I used gParted to shrink my original NTFS partition and copy it to 2nd partition. So now I have 2 identical partitions. I hided my 1st partition. Set my 2nd partitions to boot (I want both of them to be C: and don't want to seeing each other). XP boots up with its splash screen and halted with the following error.

autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

It appears that XP still remembers its partition number. I don't know why it do that and don't know how to get around it. I even followed the walkthrough as decribed here. I used win98 CD to fdisk/mbr. I ended up with a "missing operating system when trying to boot 2nd XP. I have to fix by logging back into to 1st XP's Recovery and fix the MBR. I then removed MountedDevices, clone again, and even changed BOOT.INI to point to partition 2. I still ended up with same error.

2. DoesThisWork

DoesThisWork TS Rookie Topic Starter

With more trials, I found that the XP boot sector always goes to the same partition's boot.ini. Even if it is hidden. I don't know why this is happening. I can make it work by editing the boot.ini to dual boot. But I still need to hide the partition. So I need an additional boot manager such as GRUB to hide my other partition. This is not good. Because I will have 2 levels of menu and 2 unpredictable situation (making mismatch choices in each menu).

It seems that the XP boot sector always points to the same boot loader. I even tried fixboot in Recovery Console and it does not fix it. I am out of ideas.

Anyone?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.