TechSpot

Help me build a computer to run Skyrim w/ mods etc...

1. I'm looking to enhance my PC gaming experience so I can play Skyrim (with tons of mods), the new Sim City, new Bioshock, and whatever else comes out that suits my fancy on high/ultra settings for at least the next year or two.

Please understand that I am not well-versed in PC mechanics and have been a casual gamer for most of my life. I've never built a computer. I'm hoping to just put a better graphics card in my existing computer if possible. I don't understand over-clocking or the significance of frame rates, but I'm teaching myself right now.

I am planning on buying a new HD monitor and a new video card, so what I'd like to know is: 1. Do I have a beefy enough processor/enough power to handle a great graphics card, 2. what is the best card under $500 dollars (pref. under $400) for what I'm looking to run, and 3. Can I do this without having to buy a new tower, add new fans, etc.? My computer specs can be found here.

I went ahead and bought the ASUS HD7870 on a whim, but it isn't here yet and I'm wondering if I should send it back and get a better one. I've got the feeling from reading forums that I need something better...

Thank you :)

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

You really only need to buy a new PSU and a new GFX card. Get at least a 550W PSU (only buy PSUs from Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX. I dont trust other brands). I would be safe and go with 650W. If you want to overclock you will need to buy an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo. I would recommend this graphics card instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130817
    Get it while it is on sale. $325 for a 3GB EVGA custom 660Ti is a bargain. It is originally around $360. The 7870 is fine, but the reason I am recommending the 660ti 3GB card is that it is basically equal in performance to a gtx 670 since that version I showed you is overclocked. Also 3GB will allow you to play most games at high/ultra for the next 3-4 years. Even in a few years, you can just disable/lower some settings like AA for better performance. That is just for eye candy. Only get the 3GB card if you are gonna game at 1080P.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.