Help me build a gaming rig starting with $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

siicogamer

Hi guys,

I want to build a new rig because my old one just died recently. Found out it was the motherboard so I don't want to replace it because the entire rig is pretty old. I've had it since 2004. So at the moment I have $1000 in my pocket to spend. I plan on saving to buy for the rest of the other stuff like LCD and new case later on when I get some cash. So if you guys could help me decide which parts are best to buy. I specifically want this for gaming since I'm a hard core gamer. Some things I should note:

- On my second computer I have 2 8800GTs 512 in it so I am able to just take one temporarily until I get the cash to buy something more decent. After that I do want to keep saving to buy more and more parts. so eventually I want to be running tri sli gfx cards.

- Also when I buy the ram I could run off 2gb for the time being until I get cash so I can go 4.

- I need to get a new computer asap because I have work on there that needs to be processed and completed which I am unable to do on my second computer because there is some sort of incompatibility and it doesn't detect the hard drives at all. Although the hard drives still work got my friend to test them on his old computer. So it's best I get something done now in order to access these files and complete my work.

- Not only am I a gamer I do a lot of work relating to 3D and rendering.

-So I plan on buying the parts bit by bit and running off what I can. Like I said I am able to use my current monitor and case for the time being. Although I guess I will need a better psu.

- My rad9600 gfx card and 3x256mb ddr was tested and it is still working. So plan on selling those. I guess will make another $100

- I live in Australia so not entirely sure how much usd that is, I think its about 800. This site is where I used to buy my parts from if your interested, there all
shops from australia so if you find some handy links that would be great:http://www.shopbot.com.au/

I used to build computers from time to time a few years back. So at the moment I haven't actually had a good look at all the benchmarks of the new hardware to know which is best. Although I have been recommended to look at a few parts.

Help me decide on which to buy.

msu:?
csu: i7 core, don't know which I should get.
ram: 2gb for the time being.
gpu: 8800GT 512 as PLACEHOLDER. Looking to get gtx series card.

If you have any questions, fire away.
Thanks in advance

Well everyone I know mentions that they run really well for gaming. Apparently better than the c2D E8xxx series. Not sure if it really is a advantage though. I want to play crysis on high at a 1680x1050 res. Just looked at a bench with it and it gained an additional 40fps compared to an 8500.

An i7 CPU and motherboard alone will eat up about 75% of your budget. Add DDR3 memory, and almost all of your budget is gone.

are you open to a AMD build? heres why i ask. consider the following benchmarks
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii940/10.htm

and then the cost v performance of an i7 build. this is the least expensive of the i7's, the one in the benchmark that runs a dead heat in crysis (the i7 965 extreme) is $1000.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
you can have an extremely powerful system that will chew up anything you throw at it for less than a grand, if this is an option. don't get me wrong, i7 is the king, and if budget isn't a concern, then i say go for it. if you do have to work within a budget, then you will get more performance per dollar with an AMD build. let me know if I can help.

@Rage
I guess I could look into another mobo, what kind would run well with the i7 920?

@red
I would have gone amd although after having amd a few years back and having loads of problems, I am pretty sick of the customer support as well. I've had an intel E8500 on a build I have and it runs well and the customer support has been great when suffering few problems.

So i would rather stick with intel for the time being.

Well I've been recommended these parts for the prices. Remember this is in AUD.

PSU: Corsair TX750 - $199
Mobo: Asus P6T - $300
CPU: Intel i7 920 - $420
RAM: G Skill DDR3 6gb (3x2gb) - $130
GPU: GTX275 - $270

I have never heard of any complaints with AMD or Intel customer support; people usually have issues with mobos rather than CPUs.

However, it is your choice, and looking at what you'd be doing, I'd be inclined to agree that i7 would be the way to go.

That build is great BTW, I don't see any issues with it.

Just want to know is 6gb absolutely necessary for ram? I mean I could just run off 4gb and if I wanted to just buy the extra stick later? How much of a slow down would there be without another 2gb?

Also the mobo kinda seems expensive imo. There isn't anything else that could perform similar and be cheaper?

Cheers thanks for that, very similar parts to what I am building. Although now I've been told to keep my current card for the time being and wait for the dx11 cards to release. Not really sure what to do. Although I'm guessing I won't be able to afford the new dx11 cards when they release because I'm thinking they will be like 1 grand.

not sure what the AUD/USA exchange rate is, but they wont be a grand, look for them to be close to what theyre DX 10.1 counterparts are. it will be a while before you start to see DX 11 games on the market.

@Rage
I guess I could look into another mobo, what kind would run well with the i7 920?

@red
I would have gone amd although after having amd a few years back and having loads of problems, I am pretty sick of the customer support as well. I've had an intel E8500 on a build I have and it runs well and the customer support has been great when suffering few problems.

So i would rather stick with intel for the time being.

Well I've been recommended these parts for the prices. Remember this is in AUD.

PSU: Corsair TX750 - $199
Mobo: Asus P6T - $300
CPU: Intel i7 920 - $420
RAM: G Skill DDR3 6gb (3x2gb) - $130
GPU: GTX275 - $270

Thats almost exactly the system im putting together. I got an i7 920 + vista ultimate (free windows7 upgrade) for 129 bucks through an intel promotion. The P6T is a great board and cheaper than a lot of other similar boards. I got a GTX285 for $174 through some deal at work. Still up in the air on what ram to get tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back