Help me choose which AMD processor I should buy

akevilj

Hello !

I am buying a new processor.
I've choosen AMD since i heard it's better for gaming.
I dont want to buy nothing special, or expensive, just something that will allow me to play new games.
I think AMD Phenom is to expensive, so it would be best to choose AMD Athlon...

Procesor AMD Athlon II X3 445 BOX, s. AM3, 3.1GHz, 1.5MB costs 80 €

What do you think about it ? is it good enough for new games ?

it would be nice if you have some suggestions on what cheap memory card i should buy cuz I have Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128 bit, and I think I need a new one, dont you :D ?

Procesor AMD Athlon II X2 260 BOX, s. AM3, 3.2GHz, 2 MB costs 78 €
and
Procesor AMD Athlon II X3 445 BOX, s. AM3, 3.1GHz, 1.5MB costs 82 €

1. question: which is better and why ?
The Athlon II is a Phenom II with the L3 cache disabled. The x3 is a triple core CPU, so naturally it will be faster with apps/games etc that use more than 2 cores.

The x3 4xx Cpu's are very good budget gaming CPU's. Dont purchased based on this...however you have a better than 50/50 chance of unlocking the dormant cores on either processor if you get a MB with a 710 NB chipset or better.

2. question: what does X2 and X3 means, what is it for, and is there huge difference between them ? X2=2 cores X3=3 cores

3. question: what does 260 and 446 BOX means, what is it for, and is there huge difference between them ? Box means boxed retail version, rather than an 'CPU only' version (no heatsink/fan) included

4. question 1.5 and 2.0 MB is the cache size, right ? so it isnt important if its 2.0 or 1.5
Generally the more cache the better. However you will be hard pressed to notice any performance difference between the two

5. question are those processors even good enough to play new games ?
They are, however multi core software and games is where its going. many games now are using 4+ cores. as an example, BC2 will use 8 cores/threads if you have them.

I don't know if this holds true where you are, but this one is within a few dollars of the ones you listed, and a tad faster

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911

6. question it would be nice if you have some suggestions on what cheap memory card i should buy cuz I have Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128 bit, and I think I need a new one, dont you
What resolution and level of detail (eye candy) do you want to be able to game at?

Procesor AMD Athlon II X2 260 BOX, s. AM3, 3.2GHz, 2 MB costs 78 €
and
Procesor AMD Athlon II X3 445 BOX, s. AM3, 3.1GHz, 1.5MB costs 82 €

1. question: which is better and why ?
The Athlon II is a Phenom II with the L3 cache disabled. The x3 is a triple core CPU, so naturally it will be faster with apps/games etc that use more than 2 cores.

The x3 4xx Cpu's are very good budget gaming CPU's. Dont purchased based on this...however you have a better than 50/50 chance of unlocking the dormant cores on either processor if you get a MB with a 710 NB chipset or better.

2. question: what does X2 and X3 means, what is it for, and is there huge difference between them ? X2=2 cores X3=3 cores

3. question: what does 260 and 446 BOX means, what is it for, and is there huge difference between them ? Box means boxed retail version, rather than an 'CPU only' version (no heatsink/fan) included

4. question 1.5 and 2.0 MB is the cache size, right ? so it isnt important if its 2.0 or 1.5
Generally the more cache the better. However you will be hard pressed to notice any performance difference between the two

5. question are those processors even good enough to play new games ?
They are, however multi core software and games is where its going. many games now are using 4+ cores. as an example, BC2 will use 8 cores/threads if you have them.

6. question it would be nice if you have some suggestions on what cheap memory card i should buy cuz I have Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128 bit, and I think I need a new one, dont you
What resolution and level of detail (eye candy) do you want to be able to game at?

heh you answered my question a minute after i changed my text and i changed it cuz I was stupid and thought they both have dual cores, cuz it says in their name AMD Athlon II, and i thought " II " means dual core but then i realized that x2 means dual core and x3 triple core :D but thanks anyway :D

I think i will buy Athlon x3 3.1 GHz .... its not expensive and quite good as you mentioned....
but something bothers me now....
I have a motherboard that supports only DDR RAM.... is this processor going to work with DDR RAM ? cuz its AM3 as it says in the name...

I have a motherboard that supports only DDR RAM.... is this processor going to work with DDR RAM ? cuz its AM3 as it says in the name..
You will need a new MB. Check the CPU support list when you do as the vast majority of AM2+ boards support the AM3 CPU's with a bios update.I am guessing the MB you have is a socket 939? Without getting to the memory issues, the MB must be the correct socket type for the AM3 CPU (AM2+, or AM3) but yes, you are going to need to invest in a new MB and Ram. DDR3 to be precise. You could use DDR2, but the price is the same (or less) for DDR3 so it would not make any sense to use DDR2 unless you score a free DDR2 motherboard or something.

You will need a new MB. Check the CPU support list when you do as the vast majority of AM2+ boards support the AM3 CPU's with a bios update.I am guessing the MB you have is a socket 939? Without getting to the memory issues, the MB must be the correct socket type for the AM3 CPU (AM2+, or AM3) but yes, you are going to need to invest in a new MB and Ram. DDR3 to be precise. You could use DDR2, but the price is the same (or less) for DDR3 so it would not make any sense to use DDR2 unless you score a free DDR2 motherboard or something.

oh my god.... thats lots of money....and i just wanted a new cheap CPU :D
so.... If i want to use AM3 CPU, i need to buy a new MB with AM2+ or AM3 socket....

Do you have a suggestion for a cheap MB that will support AM3 CPU ?

yeah they are pretty nice for that price...

but i was wondering.... in future, when i'll again need to buy new CPU, lets say i'll buy a X6 CPU i'll again need to change MB cuz these dont support X6 CPU-s....
so i was wondering which is the cheapest MB that supports X6 CPU-s and should i buy those MB-s that you recomended or should i consider buying one that supports X6 CPU so i dont need to buy new one in future

It will be in this range here;
http://www.links.hr/index.php?naziv...&id_kategorija=05030314&id_artikl=050.303.489
I have no idea what 'CPU support' looks like, so you will have to peruse the list, but its going to be close barring a great sale price. Also, dont discount what CPU's it supports until you have a look at the list. The front page of some of these was out before the X6 came out, and you cant tell unless you look into Bios revisions. If i remember correctly, my Asus Crosshair Formula IV didnt say' X6 ready' until a month after it was out.

yeah i need more time to peruse before i make any decision but its to late now and i'm going to sleep... cya tomorrow and thank you very much for help :)

Back