TechSpot

Help me - Computer being taken over by spyware and false virus programs!

By aussiedge
Apr 9, 2006
  1. hi guys
    my computer is being taken over by spyware and fake antivirus messages. I have attached a hijack this file. I am currently running windows XP with Trend Micro anti virus software which is up to date. does anyone have any tips?

Read: Before posting your HijackThis log. Please read this.

2. aussiedge

aussiedge TS Rookie Topic Starter

a copy of my hijack file is attached

Read the post again, it says specifically .TXT
    We DON'T want your virus-infested .DOC files!

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

aussiedge, go to the security and web part of this forum and read the top 6 stickies on how to remove trojans/cws/etc... and any other stickies that may look usefull, then post it here as a hjt.txt file.

in very short summary of those:
    Remove uneccisary programs, INCLUDING P2P/Limewire software
    update windows
    update anti-virus/mal/ad/spyware software or if you dont download a few free/trail ones. suggested: AVG, Adaware, Spybot
    reboot into safe mode (hit F8 while pc is booting)
    run all your scanners, clean if found stuff
    goto trendmicro's housecall/edwido/panda online and get a scan there
    reboot.
    Post HJT.TXT file here.

then:
    download a good firewall prog eg: Zonealarm Free and/or get yourself a firewall hardware to stop tehm coming in to your pc.
    dont go into any more dodgy sites nor download/install anything and everything you see on the page without thinking. nor use any p2p programs (if you previously do).. they're the most common places of warez tranfer/infection methods

but i still advise you to read them anyhow.

happy hunting.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.