Help Me Decide On A Good Racing Game

By Ritwik7
Feb 3, 2010
  1. Hi guys!

I want to buy a good racing game to play on my PC when there's a lack of First Person Shooters at hand.

I previously loved NFS: Most Wanted.

Now I've been looking at a few titles:

1. GRID
    2. Dirt 2
    3. Burnout Paradise
    4. NFS: Shift

Good, fast racing and some eye candy added...

Which would you recommend for me? It need not be a very accurate simulation. Want some fun and adequate replay value. It would be nice if you could give a few reasons along with your choice.

Thanks. :)
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

I'm a huge fan of GRID on the PC (the console versions are not as good.) The physics are good enough (if you're not a hardcore sim player) and has lots of eye candy. If you have decent input for your PC (gamepad or steering wheel) then gameplay will be great.

Did I mention there's lots of eye candy? I've been meaning to post some screenshots for some buddies of mine, perhaps this is a good enough motivator for me to work on that tonight.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Here are my opinions:
    1) GRID is awesome, especially considering you can run it smoothly at max settings with a mid-range graphics card. Unlike NFS Shift, which runs like absolute dogcrap on my ATI card, but then I hear Nvidia cards are ok.
    2) Haven't played DIRT 2 but the original was very good, even if it was a bit hard and frustrating at times.
    3) Burnout Paradise is very fun for a while, but doesn't have much structure to the game (the whole map is open at the start) and gets kind of boring.
    4) As I have mentioned above, I can't get decent framerates on NFS Shift so haven't even completed a race yet :(
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,672   +9

I'll be using an ordinary keyboard. Will the controls play alright? Also, is the learning curve too great? I would mostly like some good fun racing. :)
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Well - if you're already used to playing driving games with a keyboard then it might not be so bad, but analog makes all the difference in the world on these games. I would suggest getting yourself a cheap little analog controller or if you have a PS3 controller, plugging that in and using it. There will be a little tweaking to get that PS3 controller working, but it'll be worth it.

Not much of a learning curve for GRID - you just jump in a drive. It's not terribly sim, not much car tuning - but it is absolutely beautiful. Screenshots really don't do it any justice. I run it at 4xAA 8xAF @ 1920x1200 & VSync on - never any dips in performance.

There are a few different game modes including a career mode similar to other driving games and the jump-right-in Quick race modes and Drift modes.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.