TechSpot

Help me optimize power settings for home file server

By Vollezar
Jul 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I built a Windows XP pro based home file storage. It's mainly used to store movies and music for my friend to access with his WDTV live thinga-magigy over LAN network.
    The server is stored in out of the way in a cool dark place.I would like to setup so it goes to sleep when idle for a while, but wakes up if someone is trying to access it. How can I do this?

Thanks.
    The specs ( in case it matters):
    Pentium 4 2.5Ghz socket 478
    512MB RAM
    Intel PRO/100 VE onboard network card
    80GB OS drive and 500GB storage drive

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

look for the settings Wake on LAN, usually associated with the custom settings for your NIC.

HOWEVER, you may not get what you expect. I Have the WDTV device (love it) and to access the pc
    (movies, video, files), you go thru the sequence of selecting the Windows Shares and then the System/folder.

With what you are attempting, the server will be asleep when the user starts at the top of the selection process
    {video, pictures, files} and the device will not be visible - - this is where we HOPE the server awakens and begins
    redoing the sequence of selecting the Windows Shares and then the System/folder.

3. Vollezar

Vollezar TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 105

I have set the WDTV so it remembers what to access and the user/password combination. The server is the first thing it tries to access. I just checked the NIC card and it does have the settings for WOL. I guess I should make sure BIOS does as well. Thanks.