Help me pick a decent CPU

Vaidas B

Hey guys, first off, sorry if this is the wrong place or something like that. I'm new here, but I hope I'm here to stay.
So, I'm building my first PC (sad to say I'm no a budget, but I don't really feel like spending large amounts of money on something I have never done before, plus I'm a student). I intend to play video games and do some programming/video editing and rendering.
Okay, so I have a couple of questions that I would like to get answered.

What's a good CPU for this motherboard? ASRock 970DE3/U3S3
(I have my eye on this one Athlon II X3 460 (3.4Ghz/1.5MB/95W) Socket AM3, but I am oblivious when it comes to certain kinds of tech, so this one may suck for all I know).

Number of cores vs Ghz?
I've noticed that some cores have less gigahertz, but have more cores and vice versa. Why is that and what are the pros and cons of both types? (If that's not just an outdated thing.) I know it has something to do with multitasking, but that's about it.

That's about it, I'll update this thread if I come up with new questions.

Thank you for your time.

That motherboard is AM3+ compatible so works with AMD's latest Bulldozer line of processors. As such, my advice is to purchase at least a quad-core FX-4xxx series CPU. AMD also do six (FX-6xxx) and eight-core (FX-8xxx) CPU's as well.

Rather than approaching it from the viewpoint you have so far, you'd be best to set a budget and let us know exactly what you can spend, and we can use that with the information above to give you the best choice.

Thank you. All of them look pretty awesome.
Okay, so now I have a couple of questions that are not related to CPU's or Motherboards, I just open a thread in a different section, right?

Aye, that's usually the best way of doing it. I'll keep an eye out for the new thread to see if I can help with that.

If they're all related to a new build or advice about building a computer you could create one single thread to ask them all in though.

Back