Help me please with the Marvel movies (Updated 5\19\20)

scavengerspc

TechSpot Elite
Last time I want to hear it to be honest. The movies are more than just the comic books and so on.
From my Son and Daughter, their friends and of course a lot of folks my age.

I have Disney+ and have always been a Sci-Fi fan so I and have decided to watch every one of them so please give opinions on what order if any, I should watch them. Or should I watch them in order by year by the subject? I'm starting tonight or maybe early tomorrow.
Here is the list and thanks in advance.

• Iron Man (2008)
  • Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • Thor (2011)
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  • Avengers (2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • Thor: The Dark World (2013)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
  • Ant-Man (2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (2016)
  • Doctor Strange (2016)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
  • Black Panther (2018)
  • Captain Marvel (2019)
  • Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Watch them in that order ? They vary quite a bit in style and tone (Thor: Ragnorak is a comedy film compared to The Dark World) but they’re all watchable. I felt Captain Marvel was the weakest of the lot, but mostly because the pacing didn’t flow too well for me and it felt a little padded. Later in the series, parts of the films only make sense if you’ve watched the earlier ones.

I would watch them in the order in which they were released. There are some crossover references in some of the films and as neeyik said they only make sense if you've seen the earlier films. It's not that big of a deal if you see them a little out of order but, of course, not the sequels in a particular series.

Avengers (2012)
Captain Marvel (2019)
Iron Man (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Black Panther (2018)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Thanks all. Last night I watched Iron Man and today I watched Iron Man 2.
Absolutely great movies and just a ton of fun. I liked the first one better but 2 was also very good. I should have been watching these from the start but I have never read a comic book in my life so the immediate appeal wasn't there. I do keep up on the Batman movies because I liked the TV show as a kid.

I'm thinking that I will watch the top 2 of Fionas list then follow the release dates as neeyik and mailpup said picking up after IM2.

Again thanks. I never thought I would like these movies as much as I did.

....[ ]...I felt Captain Marvel was the weakest of the lot, but mostly because the pacing didn’t flow too well for me and it felt a little padded....[ ]....
In certain scenes, I wondered why people weren't b!tching about "too dark lighting", the way they did about the final episodes of "Game of Thrones".

Coming from the original "Star Wars" movie, it would be interesting to compare the amount of screen time of CGI, to today's films. I think IL&M put up only about 10 minutes of EFX in that seminal movie (Which BTW, blew everybody away).

Last edited:
I already have HBO Now and just found out that a ton of DC movies will be with them on Max. I liked all the Marvel movies I watched so far and will now have the DC flix to watch.

I'm a little more than halfway through the Marvel list and HBO Max came on today so now I have the DC movies too and its an impressive list. Some I have never even heard of (What the hell is Jonah Hex?). I think they are pretty much all here except the most recent. I'm actually kinda happy I had no interest in these movies until now. Lots to catch up on while staying home.

I've not heard of it either.
Here is what I got Cliff:
"Having cheated death, gunslinger and bounty hunter Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin) has one foot in the natural world and one in the supernatural. His unusual nature gives him the ability to track down anyone or anything, so the Army makes him an irresistible offer: It will erase the warrants on his head if he will find Quentin Turnbull (John Malkovich). Turnbull, his oldest enemy, is preparing to unleash hell on Earth and will stop at nothing to kill him".

It's from 2010. And it bombed. I think I will start there!

For whatever reason, I became jaded to all of the Hollywood superhero movies a few years ago. I still have to watch about half of that list. But I did, however, find The Boys (amazon) to be a great show on the same subject matter. Tries to be more grounded and really quite dark in tone. I suppose something like Watchmen.

Something else to watch on lockdown, for anyone unaware of it who may be interested.

For whatever reason, I became jaded to all of the Hollywood superhero movies a few years ago. I still have to watch about half of that list. But I did, however, find The Boys (amazon) to be a great show on the same subject matter. Tries to be more grounded and really quite dark in tone. I suppose something like Watchmen.

Something else to watch on lockdown, for anyone unaware of it who may be interested.
The Boys, got it. I will check it out. Thanks, Jerry.

The Boys deserved a better name. Great series - looking forward to Season 2.

Well hell, The Boys really is quite good though I only watched Ep 1 so far. It is not at all what I expected from a superhero show, which is a good thing.
Right? My ex watches every superhero show, but I just can't seem to get into them. The only one I enjoy is Legends of Tomorrow. I was simply not ready for The Boys to be.... good. Really good.

Back