Help me select a graphics card

Hi,
my specs:

E 6750 2.67 ghz core 2duo,
2gb ram,
450W psu.

budget: 150 $.

Mostly I will play Fifa 12,pes 2012, COD.High settings,normal resolution(on a 19inch monitor).

450W won't do the higher end graphics cards but FIFA12, PES won't take much. Offhand I have no experience with COD.

If it is a good 450w psu you should be able to handle a mid-range card such as the Radeon HD6770 or HD6850 without any problems. If you can give us the make and model of the PSU it would be helpful, this information is located on a label on the PSU that should also list the amperage.

If you have a decent PSU you should be able to get a HD6850 for less than $150
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 =$140

If not you can get a HD6770 for around $100 (after discount / rebate)
SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 =$115 - $20(rebate) = $95
and use the $50 left over for a decent PSU like one of these.
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W = $55
Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W = $55 - $10 (rebate) = $45

1)This 450 W psu handled 8800 GT well enough,so would'nt it be gud enough for 6850 or 6770?

2**)Considering my system specs what performance gain wud I get with 6850 over 6770?I mean wud that performance gain be worth the 50$ extra?

I want to keep this system for atleast 1 to 2 years.

Without knowing whether you have a half decent PSU, or a cheap PSU its impossible to advise you on a suitable GPU, which is why you've been asked multiple times if you can provide the information contained on its sticker. What we need to know is the brand, model number and amp ratings on the individual rails. If you're not sure, just take a picture of it and then link it here for us to view ourselves.

Unfortunately not all 450W PSU's are equal. There is a huge difference between a cheap one and a top of the range model, not least the cheapness of the components and the differences in amperages the rails can handle. You then need to consider that they all degrade with time - generally speaking the cheaper the part is the quicker it degrades. So its age is another factor you need to consider. Some cheaper PSU's aren't even capable of maintaining the ratings they are stamped with brand new, never mind after 3-4 years of continuous usage.

Rather than trying to compare it to your previous 8800GT I do recommend you provide us with the information so we can best assist you.

If its a cheap PSU it is likely we'll all recommend you invest in a higher quality unit before purchasing a GPU - which will obviously affect the price you can spend on one.

The members commenting in this thread aren't being pedantic or trying to be awkward - it really is necessary in order to best advise you about your intended product purchase.

well,it is not a decent one,,it is branded A-ONE,the sticker which shows the amperes is not visible,I will have to take out the psu to see that.I will get a better psu if you all think it is must.plz answer the other question I asked.

Considering my system specs what performance gain wud I get with 6850 over 6770?I mean wud that performance gain be worth the 50$ extra?

I want to keep this system for atleast 1 to 2 years.

Unless you upgrade your RAM there won't be much if any difference, even with more RAM the HD6850 will only allow you to use a little bit higher settings. However the HD6850 is about the max you could go without the CPU being a bottleneck. Despite it's age a Conroe with 4mb of cache and a 1333 mhz bus like the E6750 is still a very capable processor assuming you have a decent chipset to back it up.

Your system is begging for a 460 GTX 1GB and its about 120 dollars, sometimes after rebate. It will go perfect with your CPU alto there will be some bottleneck, its your best bang for buck and your PSU shouldnt have a problem with it, unless its some cheap korean POS... anyhow let us know.. gl,

Hi,
my specs:

E 6750 2.67 ghz core 2duo,
2gb ram,
450W psu.

budget: 150 $.

Mostly I will play Fifa 12,pes 2012, COD.High settings,normal resolution(on a 19inch monitor).

Back