TechSpot

Help me with Windows XP to Windows XP black edition

By xbrxlunch
Nov 14, 2009
  1. i want my pc to be formatted and i already have windows xp. i want to put on windows xp black edition. how do i do this? how do i start this process? and do i have to backup all of my drivers?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

You want to remove XP and then put XP back on?
    And you need help in backing up your drivers?

It seems strange to me :)

Note: Your drivers come from your computer's or motherboard manufacturers support site (looking HERE may help with that ;))

But how to format and install Windows?
    Just put in the Windows setup disc, boot from it, and do a clean install (note: format is an option during the install)

3. xbrxlunch

xbrxlunch TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok thanks. now like i said shud i backup my drivers onto a external hdd? or just dont worry about them. i have an old asus motherboard. my computer is old. it only has a 27gb hdd. its so slow cuz its full. i have to use my laptop to post this cuz its so slow. that why i want to format it. and i want to delete xp and then reinstall xp because im reinstalling black edition and i want that.

4. kimsland

Oh I see, because "Black Edition" comes with less, and is also less on Ram resource
    You know many Users are updating to Windows 7 these days :D And Hard Drives (27 Gig) is unheard of. ie a 40 Gig harddrive is probably worth about $10 :D and a normal size Hard Drive (you know 500 Gig or a terabyte, is just so inexpensive now ;)

But you "want" to do this, so as you can hopefully have a working computer ;)
    Hmm, I think they have $50 computers on eBay with 80Gig Harddrives with XP installed as well, that are really really old

I wonder if it would be easier just to save (a few) bucks, and get new hardware, say less than 8 years old? What do you think? Good idea?

5. xbrxlunch

dude my computer is fine. i dont want a new one. and i cant run windows 7 anyway. u need at least 1000MHz processor. mine is 600MHz... im not lookin to run anything fancy im just trying to get this back into suitable working condition.and i never heard of an 40gb hdd for 10$. i see 40gb hdd's for around 40-50$ oh and whats also unheard of...is that my hdd speed is 4200rpm. that is slower then the grass grows

6. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

To prepare for a full reinstall
    => Use Produkey to retrieve your current product activation keys for Windows OS, Office, etc (you'll need them)
    => Use DriverMax to export all your current drivers to removable media (so you don't have to search for all your drivers from scratch after install)
    => Make sure you recover any other product keys for other things you paid for as you'll need to re-enter those keys again after reinstall
    => Look through Add/Remove Programs to note programs you need to reinstall. Check if they're available for download online or you still have their download CDs
    => Backup all your personal files/folders
    => When you reformat your drive, do a FULL format not a quick format

7. kimsland

OK :)

Well I haven't heard of a 27Gig HDD so we are even
    By the way, I meant used 40 Gig

Also "600MHz" ?
    I think I saw some down at the local Tip, but no one wanted it ;) ;)

8. xbrxlunch

oh a used one. 600MHz i my processor speed. terrible. and what do you mean by " I think i saw some down at the local Tip, but no one wanted it" ?

9. kimsland

I'll tell you the truth (on my kids name)
    I threw away 4 (thats four) 800MHz complete computers with 15"Monitors and 20Gig Harddrives (working!) about 3 weeks ago

Thats right, I threw them away into the rubbish (seeming they were rubbish)

10. xbrxlunch

you have a job. i dont. i dont hae money to throw out like that

11. xbrxlunch

ok thanks

12. xbrxlunch

?anybody else?

13. kimsland

What else do you need to know?