TechSpot

Help Microsoft find bugs in Windows 8.1 Preview and earn up to $100,000

By Shawn Knight
Jun 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new bounty program from Microsoft designed to help the company become aware of security vulnerabilities earlier is backed by some pretty deep pockets. Redmond will pay up to $100,000 as part of what they are calling a Mitigation Bypass...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,954   +579

Patching every security hole in Internet Explorer isn't going to save it, so says the cold statistics.

This is the end game, with Chrome Blink being the only finisher.

3. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 423   +94

I've found a bug. There's no start menu.

JC713 likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,147   +1,533

MS Development team is the biggest bug of all. Find those who think Windows has to change every few years, and you will know where the bugs are.

5. I hope the result is not saying that Windows 8.1 itself is a bug xD

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

I can find tons of bugs! I am just not the type of person who can find security bugs though.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,225   +777

I've already found one huge bug, It's still part of the Windows 8 family. Do I get the $100000?

8. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Try again when Chrome has native support for Group Policy and other Windows Services, until then Internet Explorer will still rule in corporate enterprises which makes up a lot of marketshare.

Nice stats though, too bad those include mobile platforms as well. When it comes to desktop computer browser marketshare, IE still has 55.99%. http://www.netmarketshare.com/

9. Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin TS Rookie

I studied the Unix Kernel in college and know that finding a flaw with an application has nothing to do with getting root access. Though with Windows, it does. With Unix, Linux and OS X, if you log in as a non root user, there is noway that you can become root. To become root there would have to be a hole in the kernel and there is not on any of those systems mentioned. It is so strange that Microsoft would have applications requiring SYSTEM access to do reads, writes and other OS functions. Windows must have been designed quickly. They should call it the Quick and Dirty OS or QDOS for short!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.