Help: "Missing" files on a mapped drive

By C0d3Warr10r
Feb 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm using 2 computers in a workgroup with a shared drive on one of them. I will refer to my computer as *Computer A* and the "remote" computer as *Computer B*

My problem is this: I can view most files on the mapped drive on Computer B from Computer A. However, in some of the subfolders, I can only view some of the files. Computer A and Computer B are both running Windows XP w/ SP2. I'm mapping the drive using a local administrator's account on Computer B. I've played around with permissions, but I really don't think this problem is permission related.

My arguement against the possibility of permissions restricting my ability to view some files is because I've built the OS on Computer A with Windows Server 2003 and this symptom doesn't recur in that environment. I recently rebuilt the system with Windows XP SP2 again and the behavior returned. Any thoughts?

C0d3Warr10r
    beatpoet1978@hotmail.com
  2. C0d3Warr10r

C0d3Warr10r Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 55

Solution to "Missing" files

Well guys, I figured out my problem and wanted to put the solution into the forum. I hope this helps someone before they get as frustrated as me :)

Open a Windows Explorer Window ->
    goto the Tools menu ->
    Click Folder Options ->
    Click the View tab ->
    Scroll down to the bottom and deselect "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)." ->
    Click OK, and your done. You should be able to view all files that are located on the mapped drive.

C0d3Warr10r
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.