HELP!!! My computer keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I've had an ongoing problem with my PC in that every so often it will restart itself for no reason. On Friday it did it again but this time it eiher keeps rebooting itself continuosly before even getting through the bios stages or if it does get through it and trys to start windows all I get is a black screen with a flashing white underscore in the top left of the screen. I have removed 1 memory chip which seemed to help in that I now get an image on the screen.

I have a Gigabyte 8S661FXM motheroard, P4 3EGhz processor (800Mhz system bus) and 120Gb hardrive with Windows 2K installed. The powersupply and video cards were replaced earlier this year as they over heated but have shown no signs of problems.

Can anyone help??

Wow, that sucks. If you want to know what I would try (I am not the best at computers, so you might want to wait for some better help) I would go through, and swap out every thing I can with a spare. If your motherboard has onbard video, take out your video card, and turn the onboard on. Same with as many parts as you can. This is a good way to see if it is hardware. Have you ever updated your bios/messed around in it?

One thing that sometimes help me when my computer goes screwy for no reason, unplug your computer, and remove your Bios Batt if you can. Wait like, 30 seconds, then put it back. This should completely reset the bios. If it doesn't work, atleast you can rule out some one screwing in the bios.

I've tried unplugging the power and then removing the bios battery but still no joy.

Tomrca, unfortunately I can't even get into windows to run any softward, though will try once I can!!

Ok, I wish the best of luck to you, as I dont have a clue what you could do, short of using a hammer, lol.

"I have a Gigabyte 8S661FXM motheroard, P4 3EGhz processor (800Mhz system bus) and 120Gb hardrive with Windows 2K installed. The powersupply and video cards were replaced earlier this year as they over heated but have shown no signs of problems".

You could try and replace the memory totally, but other than that, your motherboard might be fried too

Thanks Tmagic...it appears to be a mixture of the memory and the motherboard.

I've managed to steal some memory from my bros computer and replace mine, it now looks to e starting windows but either freezes when the white bar is an inch from the end or goes through that to a stop message. BUt hey it's a start. Perhaps now theres not enough memory to load it, though I can only insert 1 chip else it just keeps restarting again.

I think I'll replace the motherboard, seems like the only solution now, thanks all

tech_wannabe said:
Thanks Tmagic...it appears to be a mixture of the memory and the motherboard.

I've managed to steal some memory from my bros computer and replace mine, it now looks to e starting windows but either freezes when the white bar is an inch from the end or goes through that to a stop message. BUt hey it's a start. Perhaps now theres not enough memory to load it, though I can only insert 1 chip else it just keeps restarting again.

I think I'll replace the motherboard, seems like the only solution now, thanks all

K...I don't want to sound like you wouldn't try this...but you have tried starting windows in SAFE mode? This'll take a big load off your memory and if it works, you'll be in so you can investigate what might be going on better. Also, during post, hit whatever F key you need to for your particular BIOS to enter CMOS setup and see what it's recognizing for memory. While there, check the error log. It might shed some light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back