TechSpot

Help needed for menu problem

By kyham
Dec 10, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All of a sudden the drop down menu on everything display's and after about 1 second, goes away.

Is there a parm somewhere that sets a delay time for this function?

Searched MS and no hits.

Help and Support doesn't do either help or support

Running XP-PRO w/SP2. Worked fine until a couple of days ago.

Restore to prior restore points doesn't help.

Can't do a XP repair since the CD is older than the version I have running so it will not even try.

Ran Spybot, AdAware, Hijack This, AGW virus check. All show nothing. Got to be a parm or setting somewhere. My 3 other systems do not have the problem and all are running same OS and update levels.

Don

2. trin929

trin929 TS Rookie

it is a registry setting causing your menu delay it can be manipulated in the registry editor if you feel able enought to do so. the process is start-->run-->regedt32-->ok that will get you into the registry editor from there the setting is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER \control panel\desktop double click on the menu show delay value type a number in from 0-4000 represents milliseconds use 0 for no delay. this problem is discussed in microsoft knowledge base article 216445

let me know if it doesn't work :cool:

3. kyham

kyham TS Rookie Topic Starter

No Change

I tried both 0 and 5000 but still no change even after re-boots. Menu goes away before it is possible to select a sub menu item.

Found out that it might have been a trial version of Cool Menu so going to see if I can get some help from their support site.

Thanks for the pointer though.

Don

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.