Help needed Laptop has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

remus

Hello
This is my first post having found your forum via google.
This afternoon my HP Pavilion DV8000 running XP home sp2 stopped responding, only way out in the end was to go to battery power and hold down power switch to shut down. When I tried to reboot instead of running up windows as normal I got this error message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

From the handbook and web I found that I needed to repair the operating system with the XP CD. But before the Welcome to setup page was displayed another error screen came up this time

acpi.sys page_fault_in_nompaged_area
acpi.sys-address FF77AA045 based at F778B000, datestamp 41107d27
Try again, if you still get this message have you just installed any software or hard ware.
I tries three time at still keep getting this error. I have not put in any software or hardware for a few months.
I do have some of the files backed up but ilke most people not all.
This is my main pc I just hope that this old one lasts to receive any help from you.

many thanks in advance.

Have you tried booting the laptop in safe mode? To do so..restart or turn on the laptop and Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected. Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

There will be a little dialogue box that pops up..click yes and login normally.

When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Thanks for that be no joy
I set it to safe mode but then get the following come up

multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\KDcom.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\VBootvid.dll
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\config\syatem
multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\config\syatem.log

tried again using Last known good configuration that worked but that brings up same message as original problem ntoskrnl.ext missing or corrupt.

safe mode the second time again as above.

So booting from the Windows CD you get this:
acpi.sys page_fault_in_nompaged_area
acpi.sys-address FF77AA045 based at F778B000, datestamp 41107d27
This can be related to:
Faulty CD/DVD Drive or cabling
Faulty Ram
Faulty CPU
Faulty Power Supply

The cheapest option would be to open the case (hardware experience and electrostatic precautions, required) and blow out all the dust, and re-seat all connections and ram cards

You could then try again, or begin to replace hardware components, starting with the CD/DVD Drive

Edit:

This is a Laptop !!

It may be better just to run a CD cleaner disc through the drive
And re-seat the Ram

kimsland said:
So booting from the Windows CD you get this:

This can be related to:
Faulty CD/DVD Drive or cabling
Faulty Ram
Faulty CPU
Faulty Power Supply

The cheapest option would be to open the case (hardware experience and electrostatic precautions, required) and blow out all the dust, and re-seat all connections and ram cards

You could then try again, or begin to replace hardware components, starting with the CD/DVD Drive

Edit:

This is a Laptop !!

It may be better just to run a CD cleaner disc through the drive
And re-seat the Ram

I have just run a cd cleaner disc, then tried to run the windows repair cd. The cd drive seems to be working as it says it's loading a long list of files But when it says starting windows then falls over andback to acpi page_fault .......etc

raybay said:
Bad hard drive. Test with another.

Now where is that hammer then.

The laptop has 2 hard drives both the same size. so I have just swapped them over, tried the windows repair cd and just the same as last time says its loading files then goes to starting windows then error page_fault etc............
So to me that says the hard disc is Ok ?

Just to let you know that I think the problem has been solved. I think it is a ram problem.

1. I took the ram cards out and put them back in ... still the same
2 tried swapping the ram cards over..... still the same
3 only put one ram card in bottom slot... this time got error driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
4 took that card out put other in top slot... this time the xp repair disc loaded and ran... repaired xp and laptop started and seems to be working OK.

So to me it looks like one on the memory cards has failed would you agree or am I missing something ?

Hi again
Just to bring this thread to a close.
Since Monday my laptop has been running on half memory. Today I received my new memory cards ( decided to replace both to be on the safe side) .
Anyway new cards now installed and all working fine.

So if you are reading this post at some time in the future and have the same error message, try checking your memory.

Once again many thanks to those members who helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back