HELP Needed Overheating GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

reze-daniel

Hey, i recently got a Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT which to my misfortune does not have a fan and relies on my case's airflow and has a HUGE heatsink.
Pic: http://my.ocworkbench.com/2007/gigabyte/GV-NX86T256D/g2.htm

At idle the temp is at 53C and when im playing something the temp jumps up to 80-86 after around 30-40 minutes. My computer has 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan.

I want to add a 120mm fan to a pci slot or to the small pci-e slot to blow air onto the GPU, i heard that the temps will go down by 30-40C which sounds pretty great to me.

Now my problem is i have no experience at all with modding and i would not know how to set a fan horizontally to blow air up onto the heatsink. I dont even know how to connect a fan to the motherboard or PSU or where ever it needs to go.
If someone could tell me how this is done i would appreciate it alot.
Thanks to all and any help or advice.

Or maybe there is a fan which connects directly to a pci slot and i could have control over it with some software?

Well its like a puzzle, pieces can only fit in specific places, you can buy a unit that slides in a pci slot right under the card that will blow right onto your vga. I think you could figure it out pretty easily.

reze, are you stating the cpu temps or gpu temps in your initial post? What software are you using to read the temps from?
With a heatsink that big it may well benefit from a pci fan, if you have the room. Filling your case up will restrict cool airflow...

I am stating the Graphics card temps. My CPU temps are normal in the 29C area both of them and the motherboard temp is 39-40C as well. Right now the GPU is at 53C.

Maybe if i would just a 120mm exhaust fan it would help me reduce temps?
After hearing that adding a fan to a pci slot could restrict airflow im getting kind of paranoid. Could someone also tell me HOW to add a fan? thank you again

By the way i am getting my GPU temps from ATITOOLS and from some software which came with the package.
My CPU and motherboard temps i am getting from Everest

I have 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan. 1 at the front and 1 at the back and 1 for the CPU.
(at least thats what i saw when i opened up the side)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back