TechSpot

HELP Needed Overheating GPU

By reze-daniel
Jun 8, 2007
  1. Hey, i recently got a Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT which to my misfortune does not have a fan and relies on my case's airflow and has a HUGE heatsink.
    Pic: http://my.ocworkbench.com/2007/gigabyte/GV-NX86T256D/g2.htm

At idle the temp is at 53C and when im playing something the temp jumps up to 80-86 after around 30-40 minutes. My computer has 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan.

I want to add a 120mm fan to a pci slot or to the small pci-e slot to blow air onto the GPU, i heard that the temps will go down by 30-40C which sounds pretty great to me.

Now my problem is i have no experience at all with modding and i would not know how to set a fan horizontally to blow air up onto the heatsink. I dont even know how to connect a fan to the motherboard or PSU or where ever it needs to go.
    If someone could tell me how this is done i would appreciate it alot.
    Thanks to all and any help or advice.

Or maybe there is a fan which connects directly to a pci slot and i could have control over it with some software?

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Well its like a puzzle, pieces can only fit in specific places, you can buy a unit that slides in a pci slot right under the card that will blow right onto your vga. I think you could figure it out pretty easily.

3. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

reze, are you stating the cpu temps or gpu temps in your initial post? What software are you using to read the temps from?
    With a heatsink that big it may well benefit from a pci fan, if you have the room. Filling your case up will restrict cool airflow...

4. reze-daniel

reze-daniel TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am stating the Graphics card temps. My CPU temps are normal in the 29C area both of them and the motherboard temp is 39-40C as well. Right now the GPU is at 53C.

Maybe if i would just a 120mm exhaust fan it would help me reduce temps?
    After hearing that adding a fan to a pci slot could restrict airflow im getting kind of paranoid. Could someone also tell me HOW to add a fan? thank you again

By the way i am getting my GPU temps from ATITOOLS and from some software which came with the package.
    My CPU and motherboard temps i am getting from Everest

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

so wait...you dont have an exhaust fan on your system?

6. reze-daniel

reze-daniel TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan. 1 at the front and 1 at the back and 1 for the CPU.
    (at least thats what i saw when i opened up the side)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.