Help needed setting up wireless network!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hello,

i have just bought a belkin usb wireless network adapter, but am having problems connecting to the internet.
I have installed all the required software, found my network no connect to which is the sky broadband one, entered the network key to connect. A box which says something like connecting to network comes up for about 1 minute and then the box dissapears, and in the tray icon the network connection icon has a red cross over it. It is not as if my pc is very far away from my router, only about 20m away!!!

unfortionately i know very little about networking as i only got the internet last year.

the problem is probably very obvios to somebody who knows much!

any helpful solutions will be greatly appriciated.

??sky broadband?? Are you on an ISP with satellite access?

The 20 meters is a bit far. You'll need something with LOTS of radio power --
look for a MIMO class router (it will have two antennas).

Also see this tip

20 mtrs is no big deal if line of sight.
what is more important is what your building is made of!
If old then you will find that the wireless signal will not penetrate the walls - modern houses are much easier. Also, changing levels and diagonals restrict the signal strength. For example I cannot get through the walls of my old cottage as they are 2ft thick and made of mud, brick, horsehair and pigsh1t. No kidding. But I can "see" a wireless signal across the road, a garden and a drive some 70 yards away through the window.
Set up the network with the wireless PC next to the router - then there can be no doubt about the source of the signal.
You could try moving your router around a bit to improve the signal. Note with Sky they do not want you to use anyone elses router so unless you can argue with them you cannot use the other choice which is a range extender - best ones made by LinkSys.
hope this helps!

thanks so far, my house is quite moddern so that should not be a problem, the signal strength is on avarage about 3/5 which to me seems fine. When i try to connect a box comes up and it displays a box, saying prepering to connect to network, then the box randomly dissapears and it does not connect. I have also tried changing the ip/dns adress, with no luck!!!

Did you try this with the wireless receiver next to the transmitter?
Also you should not need to change IP and DNS details - it should all be set to automatic at the wireless receiver. Is it possible you are detecting the wrong transmitter?

i have just put the wireless network adapter within an inch of my router, the signal strength goes up, and a message saying 'wireless network conected' appears for a couple of seconds, then in the tray a red cross appears over the wireless icon, this repeats itself over and over again, as if it is trying it's best to connect but can't. WTF is going on, it is probably some f****** option that is set wrongly or something.

any suggestions AlbertLionHeart???

the manual usually says to connect the router using a WIRED connection,
configure and save the settings, and restart the device.

then, with the new settings, you should be able to connect wirelessly.

I would have a word with the tech people at Sky - you may have a faulty router. As you are not using the free (wifi?) router they issued to you you may not get much from them other than a suggestion to use the modem they gave you. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back