Help OCing Q8400 on Asus P5NE-SLI mobo

Im upgrading my cpu from e8400 to a q8400. I have a thermaltake maxorb enthusiast cooler. Completely new to OCing. What range can I safely OC this cpu?

What programs do I need?

asus p5ne-sli mobo
4g ram ddr2 800mhz
(currently)8800gt vid

off topic..will a 560ti work on this mobo?

thanks

I have a Q8200, which is basically the same CPU with a lower clock multiplier, running at a stable 3.01GHz. With your higher multiplier, you should be able to get a higher overclock. However, you might be limited by your RAM to 3.2GHz (400 X 8) unless you overclock it too. By the way, you would probably need to increase the CPU voltage to achieve that overclock. And it would be advisable to do this all in the BIOS.

And yes, any PCI-express graphics card should work on your mobo.

I have been using the option in the bios which automatically OC's without the user manually changing anything. It allows OC at 5,10,15, and 20%. I tried 10% at first with no probs and temps not rising above 50c under load. Then i tried 20% and my pc wouldnt boot. The 20% only brings it to 3.2

ANy ideas why I wouldnt boot up? Also I OC'd using the 15% option and everything was fine so I start playing some crisis warhead to see how it would play and when things got intense my pc completely crashed for a hard reset.

What am I doing wrong?

Uhh ... here's a late reply :p

I wouldn't agree with HK's assertion that a Q8400 could get near 4GHz (unless you had some seriously good cooling). However, you should be able to comfortably make it past 3GHz. Try calibrating the overclock manually instead of using the presets. Good luck!

Back