Help: Optimization of RDA3+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan Svabo

Help: Optimization of Epox 8RDA3+ (nforce2)

I've bought Epox RDA3+, XP2200+, 512 ddr400.
Now, fsb in bios is set to 133 and my memory is set to "optimal" function and auto adjust of its frequency "for best performance". On startup screen it says:
AthlonXP 2200+@1800mhz‚ DDR266
As i can se, memory is downclocked. I understand that proc and memory should work on same FBS but that means i'll have to OC pocessor? Or what? :dead:

Well, since no one helped me, i tryed on my own to optimize my new comp.
I've raised fsb to 200mhz and set multiplier to 9, havent touch voltage. Result was that my 2200 works on 1800mhz and memory on 400mhz, cpu temp is smaller than before (with full load before 49, now 41!):D
Only thing that concerns me is if tbred 2200+ has fsb of 266, what has happent to this 266 on my configuration? Has it been raised to 400 or lowered to 200?:confused:
Anywayz, my com is stabile, and flys! Windows load up at least 2x faster (i could only smile watching them load):grinthumb
Comments?

Ok ppl, now i really need your help!
With raising fsb to 200mhz my comp boot fine, works fine in windows but when it works in 3dgame it works for only for 5-10min then it crashes back to windows saying that some nv***.dll caused serious error. Like my graphic card makes problem (NOT). Anywayz, when i set fsb back to 133 comp runs fine, no grafhic problems...
Now, please ppl, does anyone have 266mhz fsb CPU and 400mhz memory? Can anyone please tell me what should I adjust to get best both performace&stability

Well, your nv***.dll is a NVIDIA driver file to the best of my knowledge. Have you tried updating your video card drivers to the latest Dets?

Detonator 44.03: Download

I never replied to this thread before because I didn't know what model the Epox RDA3+ was. Since I know its an nForce2 board I can give you some advice.
Updating the drivers probably won't help. Since you say at standard bus speeds there is no problem. I have researched this as I myself am having overclocking problems. I have yet to get 200fsb stable with a 2100+ XP. If you run Memtest86 or Prime95 you can run these stress testing programs to check the stability of your overclock. Most likely the problems you are seeing are due to either the memory not working at the speed that you are running it at, or the nForce2 controller (northbridge) running two hot. These are the problems I am having with my machine:

AMD 2100+ XP (Tbred B)
Thermalright SLK-800 with 80mm Thermaltake SFII
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512mb OCZ EL-DDR PC3500
Enermax 350w Dual Fan PSU

My next step is to remount the northbridge heatsink and fan with some Artic Silver III to try and control its temperature a little more.

One thing that can increase stability is increasing the system voltages. Since your ram is rated for this speed, I would think that either the CPU is unstable at this fsb or the nForce2 chipset is the unstable component. I would try small increases in CPU voltage (BE CAREFUL AND MONITOR THE CPU TEMPERATURE CLOSELY IN BIOS BEFORE RUNNING MEMTEST OR PRIME95), this may give you stability at this faster clock speed. Also your board may have the option to increase the nForce2 chipset voltage from 1.6v to 1.7v. If a CPU core voltage increase does not help with stability then you can try increasing this.

You can also test your memory seperately by running the CPU on its standard 133 fsb and running the ram @ 200fsb/400DDR. Run the stress programs to verify that the ram is ok and has no problems at this speed.

Hope you get it sorted. I myself am improving my nForce2 chipset cooling and possibly getting a higher rated PSU incase voltage stabiliy is an issue (Antec TruePower 480w at least ;) )

Hope this information is of some help.

forget the 2100+

arris, the 2100+ gets too hot to screw with it............at today's prices the 2500+ is looking very attractive and i here it overclocks in the multipier like a champ to 2800+..........at less than a hundy.............not a bad upgrade.......but with ivan............roll back that fsb............and, stay with the reduced timings...................upgrade that processor as well..........as your board and memory are up to the task

Well, comp is new and so upgrade of CPU wont go, i'll have to optimize this configuration

Update on clocking:
I have raised fsb on 200, mulitiplier 9, and CPU voltage on 1.7. Comp boots fine but in game crashes for about 1-2 min back to windows (doesnt block or reset)
Then Ive put back on 133*13,5, default voltage, but raised memory on 150% to get 400mhz. Well, comp boots, game works longest of all modifications but can crash... once it crashed after 10 mintes, other time it worked fine for without crash more thah half an hour (had to go so i couldnt test it anymore)
Now, i didnt know that if i raise fsb i should rasie cpu voltage too (one guy told me to do so, otherwise OC wont work), but that as ive described up didnt work either.
As for N&S bridge heat, they r hot, but i can tuch them, N is cooler than S. And what is intresting most, chipset shouldnt heat on 200mhz fsb cause it supports 400mhz CPU&memory(see MB spec here )...

As for drivers, all updated, latest detonators & nforce...

Let me try to explain what i want from my comp: if i have fsb 266mhz CPU & 400mhz memory, i want from then to work on optimal values which both of then can stand. If fsb is 133mhz my memory works at 266 and that is as u all can se almost half of capacity that it can keep up, so i want to get some compromise btw CPU & memory to make them work best they can without be OC (i dont want my cpu to run on speeds of 2400+ or higher, i want it to run od his 1800mhz speed but with fsb that is good for memory and CPu can handle it)

So running the memory only at 400Mhz causes it to crash? If that is the case it sounds like the memory is the problem. Also what PSU(Power supply) do you have, as I have read a lot about the nForce2 boards being very particular about regulated voltages.

My 2100+ with an SLK-800 and 2000rpm 80mm I ran 13x166 (2.171Ghz default voltage) with no heat issues at all. The Tbred B chips are actually achieving better results in overclocking so far than the bartons. The 1700+ Tbred B and upwards (AIUHB cores) have all been successful in getting to ~2Ghz without much of a problem. But if running 200fsb you may need voltage increases which do bring about the problem of increased heat... :(

well, PSU shouldnt be a problemcause its 400w L&C (company Logic, never heard of them but i have 1yhr. gurantee so it isnt garbage).
About CPU, its tbred B, high end (AIUHB), requested that CPU (shopkeeper was a bit nervous seeing he has to do with someone who knows the diference). Im not worried about heat of CPU, now its 41C and ill gladly keep it on 50C so raising voltage is fine if in meanwhile memory works at 400mhz...
About memory, its Kingmax (mine doesnt look like this, but thats brand and have same spec. ddr 400
When i have fsb on 133, memory works on "optimal" with CL2, when i raise fsb, CL is 2.5...
But, if ive on 133 put memory on 150% shouldnt that be asincronus with cpu?

Originally posted by Ivan Svabo
But, if ive on 133 put memory on 150% shouldnt that be asincronus with cpu?

Yes it would be asynchronous. I only suggested this as a test of the memory. I have read of some problems with Kingmax ram on some boards. I would have a search of the Epox forum at www.amdforums.com .

There are quite a few threads there about Kingmax ram and the 8RDA+

well, thnx for threads, but as i can c, epox have major issues with all kind of brands, not only kingmax.
if memory is my problem i hope fix will come in new bios...

One last thing, does anyone have epox 8rda3+ with memory problems? If u have, did u try new bios? If u did, does it fix that memory problems?
Thnx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back