Help! PC fell on its side, won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some expert guidance on hardware troubleshooting so that I can isolate what the problem is. I accept that one or some of the components may have been damaged but don't wan't to buy a whole new PC and would like to know what component to replace.

Problem statement and Symptoms :
PC fell on it's side. Now when I switch on the main power, the CPU and video fans turn on but PC won't POST and nothing is displayed on my LCD monitor. No error code beeps. The PC had been running perfectly and I was happily gaming on CS:S and DoD before disaster struck :(

My PC specs (DIY):
Pentium 4 560 3.6GHz/800MHz
Gigabyte G-Power cooler
Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro mobo
Corsair XMS PC3200 512MBx2
Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT 256MB
Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
Liteon 16x DVD+/-R/RW
OEM 16x DVD-ROM
Ultra 600W ATX Power supply
Samsung 204-B 20" LCD monitor
Windows Media Center Edition 2005

Investigation that I have done and observations:
1. Changed out the P/S to a different type (Raidmax 420W new spare I had just bought) but still won't boot. Checked my Ultra 600W P/S on a different PC and there is no problem - other PC boots OK.
2. Corsair XMS RAM tested on other PC - works OK
3. Checked DC with voltmeter on unused power connector of Ultra P/S when turned on - reads OK at 5 and 12 volts. But when I tried to open the DVD-ROM or DVD RW drive, tray would not eject.
4. Checked my LCD monitor on my other PC - LCD works fine.
5. Disconnected my optical drives and HDD from mobo leaving only the video card but still no POST or video signal
6. Disassembled entire PC, dismounted the mobo from case, took out the cooler and CPU, removed the drive cables etc. Visually checked both mobo and video card for physical damage, could not find any (at least visually). Reassembled PC, turned on P/S - same deal (power on, fans turning but PC will not POST and there is nothing displayed on my LCD).

Unfortunately I cannot test the video card on my other PC as it is a PCI-Express 16x board and my other PC has an AGP port.

Would appreciate any advise on what else I can do to isolate the problem. Is there anything else I can check before I spend $$ on a new mobo and video card.

Thanks.

NikZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back