Help picking out a Video card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chappu

I was wondering if you guys could help me pick out a new video card for my new computer(Inspiron 531)with vista home basic on it. I was given this comp for christmas and all I play on it is a bit of WoW everynow and then, and i tried without a card and it is a bit choppy. What do you all reccommend? Im not looking for an expensive card, Around $50bucks, im not a very big gamer, just looking for somthing that runs good with vista and is quiet and cool.

Edit: I was looking at this card,
Product.aspx

Is this the right card for my system(Meaning right card interface)

thanks man, always liked Sapphires, have one in an older Agp slot in another comp and it runs good. Will this work for Vista and DX10 though? because it says DX9 on NEwegg

Well it will work in vista, but it does not support DX10. But you will need to spend alot more to get a card that will run DX10.

Well the 2600pro is a weaker card then the 1650XT. Yes you get DX10 support, but with such weak cards how much eye candy are you going to be able to run with DX10 anyways? (and no aero in Vista Basic) I see no need to spend the money for a weaker card.

What Im trying to say is, if you really want to use DX10 in the future, you are going to have to just buy a new card, none of these are what youd call future proof.

Yeah, you need an 8800 series or HD 2900 or 3800 series card if you want to play DX10 games with any of the DX10 features enabled.

Chappu said:
Would this work,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102103, and second card you showed prolly wont fit in my case seeing as its gigantic.
The second card will fit just fine. The heat-sink is big because it's passive (silent) which I believe you mentioned in your post.
I have an E521 which is last year's model compared to the current 531 and have a 8800GT in mine.

MetalX,
Did you read the OP's origional post?
"Im not looking for an expensive card, Around $50bucks, im not a very big gamer, just looking for somthing that runs good with vista and is quiet and cool."
I agree with you but that's not what the OP's looking for.

Chappu said:
Would this work,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102103, and second card you showed prolly wont fit in my case seeing as its gigantic.
Yes it would you can use that. For $20 more though this is a much much better card at a steal of a price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161178

Remember you have Vista Basic though.

One other thought, you said you have the 531. correct?
If for some reason it's a 531s all bets are off and you need a low-profile card. I am going on your op:
"I was wondering if you guys could help me pick out a new video card for my new computer(Inspiron 531)with vista home basic on it."

Yes these reviews make me want to buy it, but my system came with DX10 installed, and these say DX 9, so i dont think these will work, unless there is somthing i dont know, like they are compatible with previous versions, if thats the case i will gladly buy it. pls let me kno.

kpo6969 said:
MetalX,
Did you read the OP's origional post?
"Im not looking for an expensive card, Around $50bucks, im not a very big gamer, just looking for somthing that runs good with vista and is quiet and cool."
I agree with you but that's not what the OP's looking for.
Yeah I know, I was just making the point that the card's he's looking at will not be able to really use any DX10 features because of their low performance and he should just look for faster DX9 cards. :D

The GDDR3 versions of the 7300GT are comparable to the good old 7600GT, which was a really nicely performing card. So if you can find one for a good price, go for it. But make sure it's a GDDR3 7300GT, not a GDDR2 7300GT.

Paper specs do not reflect real-world performance. The HD 2900XT was better than the 8800GTX on paper, but that did not translate into better real-life performance. The 7300GT is the better deal, because it gives performance equal to a much more expensive card while retaining key features such as H.264 decoding and the like.

That is the DDR2 version. There is a vast difference between it and the GDDR3 version. Plus, it's also closer to the OP's budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back