Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Cpu sounds like a Jet and it was posting yesterday but today nothing. It does absolutely nothing. When it turns on the system does not do anything please help

Your CPU inside your computer case, has a metal cooling Heatsink on it, and on top of that usually sits the CPU fan

Between the CPU and the Heatsink is a paste called thermal paste (actually there are a few names!) This thermal paste can be purchased from computer retail stores, or even online, the best of the best compound is Arctic Silver

Anyway, by cleaning the old thermal paste from the CPU (ideally using "isoprophyl alcohol") you then re-paste the CPU and then re-mount the Heatsink and fan

Actually this is all discussed in the link above
If you are unsure on doing this, at least follow the "No Post" link

i took the unit to micro center and was told the motherboard was bad... later that day i plugged it up for giggles and it was booting fine about 10 xs then it started again ... no boot.. no nothing just the fan sounding like a jet for take off

If qualified technicians have told you the motherboard is bad (after testing it I hope)
Then that's that

But many times these technicians don't thoroughly test the board (which would take hours!)

To test the board, they must fully remove it from the case, then plug in a new CPU and new Ram (for testing purposes only, and to eliminate those parts too)
Plus they must remove all dust, and then at last test it. (Hours later!)

Unless they viewed the Motherboard, and saw that the Capacitors (we call them "caps") were faulty (ie balooning up in physical size) which would take about 10mins, to prove the Motherboard was bad

took 10 minutes payed 75 dollars and came home plugged it in and it worked i booted it 10x's and my daughter pushed it over and it worked. i checked for loose things and nothing... the jolt made it work

Incredible

I would have said it's free, ie I didn't fix it (nor did they)
Possibly why I'm very poor !

Anyway, if you are brave enough, remove the side cover (we are talking PC aren't we?) Make sure all power is off, and don't touch anything inside (due to anti-static issues ONLY)

And then check the CPU fan is not full of dust
And check the "caps" are not curved upwards (linguistics?? What's the word I'm looking for?) The caps should be flat on top (there are many caps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back